Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Calling all rigging brainiacs and MacGuyvers. Need a rigging solution.

Ive been playing with my transom mounted pickup for quite awhile and have decided its staying. I have had it rigged so it works well but looks sloppy. Its time to make it look as good as it works but I need some ideas. i want to run the hose from the pickup into the boat and then back out the top of the transoms to the motor.

This is the current set up the Driver affectionately asked if I had a livewell on the boat

The pickup is a Bobs adjustable pickup. I have the tube height and shape exactly where I want it so I want to keep that part of it.

You can see there is some rust on the fitting on top of the Bobs pickup. This is because Bobs Machine has welded a cast fitting to a stainless tube and calls it a stainless pickup. I plan on cutting the cast fitting off and welding a stainless fitting on.

My plan is to run the hose up through the bottom of the notch above the fitting and into the boat. What I need is some sort of flanged fitting or bulkhead fitting that I can attach the correct hose to and have just a short piece of hose between the flanged part and the Bobs pickup.

I would run the hose through here:

My idea is to use a drain plug fitting like the one in the sponson and attach a fitting that will accept hose to the inside and outside. The inside is completely foamed in at that location so using a through hull that requires access to the inside to tighten will not work. I will have to tunnel through the foam to run my hose down from the inside top of the transom. I already made a "tool" to do that by taking a 1" piece of pvc and cutting teeth into the end. By twisting and pushing it cuts right through the foam taking out a plug and leaving a nice straight hole. Luckily I have access from the top through a pie plate.

Im going to try and find some braided steel hose made from 316 stainless since I boat in salt a lot.

The end at the motor should be easy. Just need the right fitting.

Any other idea for getting the hose into the boat or other option appreciated.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shoot Hoser a pm and ask him what he has to clean it up. Moreland Hose and Equipment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also pm dirk pitt he has done this style of pickup on a few of his boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    After a trip to the local fitting supply place. I have decided I am just going to fix up the current pickup with a new stainless fitting and then route some 5/8 hose up and around with some nice supports to hold it to the transom. This is a simple little boat and I think I am best keeping it that way. Every connection and turn is just another place to reduce flow and create problems.

How does 316 stainless braided hose hold up in salt water?

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    After How does 316 stainless braided hose hold up in salt water?
    braded stainless hose wouldnt be the best choice in saltwater,it probably will get crusty pretty fast. a good quality marine hose would work better & be less expensive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Found nice fitting to replace the cast iron one BObs used at Summit Racing for $27. Its a 45 degree which only reduced flow by 5% as compared to the 90 degree that reduces flow by 15%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prs-1041_w.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	247189

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my skater had it mounted inside the hull, the flange and braided sst hose are still there, and they have a thru bulkhead fitting at the back of the transom to tie into the engine, but the pickup is not there and has been glassed over. i'm gonna try to call skater next week and find out what went in the hull, mine is actually on the bottom of the sponson just fwd of the drain plug
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What I like about having the pickup exposed like this is that when I beach this boat, it beaches transom first unless the bank is very steep. If I happen to plug it with sand or mud, its easy to clear before I start the motor. I do pick up some floating grass now and then but havent had a problem. When I pulled my stats over the summer when the grass was present, I found some. Thought about putting a small strainer in the engine well but its been fine for a lot of miles and I hate to add weight to the transom.

Parker hose has some nice looking hose in black and blue with a shiny finish.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anytime an external pick up is used it should run through a strainer. I'd glass a through hull pick up in the rear of the sponson, into a strainer, and a nice hose out of the splashwell and down. The strainers don't weigh much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    , but the pickup is not there and has been glassed over. i'm gonna try to call skater next week and find out what went in the hull, mine is actually on the bottom of the sponson just fwd of the drain plug
    it was just a small pipe, nothing fancy