Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Myself, I would only use Alisyn, but I'm not going to start an oil debate.
    Come on! Oil threads are the most entertaining, particularly when they include OMC dealers.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find it funny how the negative poster's on this thread see things. One is knocking Oil that he never even tried and the other thinks BRP is screwing us on the price. Well I guess all the other oils mentioned are made by non-for-profit's.... And why cant those who have seen better results with this oil give it a thumbs up without someone saying were "Bragging"? Seriously? Just sad...If I find a better oil you all will be the first to know.

Jr.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey - easy on the Canadians eh?

Run what you want for oil, fine by me. Just cause we have different views on the subject don't label me as a Dealer / Liberal / whatever!
    I make my choices and I live with the consequences.
    I for one am glad I have the chance to buy a 2 stroke outboard.

Now that we know how everyone feels about the cost of XD100, how bout them Leafs this year?

pointer - a proud Canadian eh!

4. Likes VjSimone liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    pointer - a proud Canadian eh!
    You should fill in your location in your profile. On the internet it is difficult to locate other Canadians by scent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy 88 vegas View Post
    I stated in an earlier post that I would try this stuff. Well I just stopped by the local Evinrude dealer to grab a gallon and they want $57.19 plus tax so they can shove it up their ass for that amount. You people who believe in supporting the over priced dealers must have more money than brains. 1 gallon XD 100= 5 gallons of Pennzoil here in Savannah so even if I run it 100:1 its gonna cost twice the amount for half the oil.
    Order it online from DUSKY. It's not that bad there. That is where I get it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other side to it is if you want the best, you have to pay for it. If you are pre-mixing at 32 to 1, I don't think its the oil for you. Running it through some sort of oil injection is the only way to go. If I was premixing, I might add some in the tank on top of my regular use oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    You should fill in your location in your profile. On the internet it is difficult to locate other Canadians by scent.
    Done!
    Thought I had done that years ago?
    Still boating out here - New Brunswick. Water temp is low 50s. Another month of duck season... .

pointer aka Brian Lee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Nope, not a dealer. Just like good stuff. Not part of the Walmart generation.

Don't start throwing around insults not expecting to get them back.
    If your not a dealer then why are you so pissed? Oh thats right you fit the more money that brains description. You made the first personal insult to me if you look closely at the post about the food stamps so don't get your panties in a wad you retard. Lockjaw I'll check out that website and see what I can find. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    If the manufacturers only wanted the best oil run through their engines, they would come up with a TC-W4 specification that significantly exceeded TC-W3.
    Markus,

There are only 7 outboard motor manufacturers represented in the NMMA but there are over 20 members who are in the oil, additive, packaging, and marketing business. The oil specs are made by a comittee and guess who outnumbers the manufacturers? Only a few manufacturers are on the TC-W comittee because some do not make 2 strokes.

Bottom line is the manufacturers want a high quality oil and the oil representatives want an adequate oil so they can sell their product cheaper than the manufacturers do. Which would you buy if Pennzoil and Walmart oil were the same price as Yamaha's, Merc's, or Evinrude's oil?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy 88 vegas View Post
    I stated in an earlier post that I would try this stuff. Well I just stopped by the local Evinrude dealer to grab a gallon and they want $57.19 plus tax so they can shove it up their ass for that amount. You people who believe in supporting the over priced dealers must have more money than brains. 1 gallon XD 100= 5 gallons of Pennzoil here in Savannah so even if I run it 100:1 its gonna cost twice the amount for half the oil.
    Here is the first insult little boy, far before my rebuttal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I must be correct in my assumption then. Am I right old geezer?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope quite the opposite. Lots of brains, little money. Too much brains to cheap out on oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a major distributor of Sierra products in our city that I buy marine supplies from. I asked about their full synthetic oil since I saw it in their catalogue last year. They were a little unclear about it and put me onto to the chief product engineer for Sierra. This guy called me back and was very pleasant. I was actually very impressed with him and the answer he gave me. He was a former BRP dealer and knew exactly what I was asking about the Etec XD100 settings etc..

First he explained that their Full Synthetic is an exact copy of XD100. Their chemical engineers have reproduced it as close as 'legally' allowed by copy right laws. He claims the formulation is unnoticeably different. We all know they are in the business of copying OEM parts and trying to stay out of court in the process. One of the things (among a couple of others) they have done is to add a red dye to it as opposed to the amber color of XD100.

Secondly, he stated that US anti-trust laws (competition) do not actually permit a manufacturer from not honoring a warranty for using another brand of oil. Having said that, he said he would NOT RECOMMEND using their oil on the XD100 setting if your motor was still on warranty. He said that he would not want to see anyone denied a warranty claim because they were not using bona fide XD100. And though one could fight it in court, why would anyone what to do that or take that kind of risk? There of course is no warranty issues using their oil on the XD50 setting.

Finally, he said that he was 100% confident that their oil could be used in the Etec at the XD100 but would only do so after the warranty had expired, for the reason stated above.
    I personally thought he gave me a very reasonable and informed answer. It cleared up the questions I had. The Sierra oil is not a screaming deal most places anyway and is almost the same price and sometimes more than XD100. So I don't know why anyone would use it in those circumstances.

My interest in the matter has to do with the fact that in Canada XD100 is $50/gal. I think it is highway robbery. I can get the Sierra Oil for $26/gal. I have been using it in my OFF WARRANTY 250 Etec this past summer. Runs perfect and smoke free. I certainly don't think my motor is at risk but... I stilll have to see how it all plays out over several years.

BTW the XD100 setting is not 100:1 as many state online but probably more like 70:1 on average compared to the 50:1 average on XD50 setting. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by iammarcuse; 11-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's OFFICIAL!!!

*» Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pmThis weekend I was reading thru my monthly news letter for January 2011 and noticed there was an article buried in the middle titled*"AMSOIL hp Injector provides exceptional performance in Evinrude E-TEC engine lean-mix setting.". I've been waiting quite a while for this. In my last conversation with Dan he stated that they weren't quite sure on how to market this information. From my perspective they just needed to get it out and massage it along the way, so to speak. Anyways, in reading the article I learned a couple of things that I wanted to share with my website followers/readers. The company they used for the test was totally independent and they used another independent group for engine tear-down validation. The actual boat they tested with was with a marine rescue organization called SEA TOW. Their boat used twin Evinrude 250 HP ETECS. One of the engines was setup to use the BRP XD100 and the other used the Amsoil HPI. Total hours tested were 534 of which 240 hours were under heavy duty service in which case the boat was towing another vehicle. A company called Intertek located down in San Antonio, Texas performed the tear-down and evaluation of the engine components. The result of the teardown was both lubricants performed admirably. The exhaust port blockage on both engines received a "10" which means there was no blockage and both received a "0" for scuffing meaning there was no scuffing of the cylinder walls and I saw the photo by the way of the HPI cylinder. Both engines received near identical ratings for hard carbon deposits, scuffing and/or staining in all critical engine areas, inlcuding pistons, connectiong rods, cylinder head, crankshaft and main bearings. The article went on to say the following: "The evidence clearly supports the use of AMSOIL hp Injector in E-TEC engines programmed for reduced oil consumption." "Based on these findings, AMSOIL hp Injector will provide excellent protection for Evinrude E-TEC engines programmed for reduced oil consumption, and AMSOIL fully supports the use of AMSOIL hp Injector in place of Evinrude XD100 in these applications." So guys - there you have it and I finally have it in writing. Now I've got to come up with an ETEC for my Glastron and I guarantee you that I will be running HPI thru my ETEC and of course I will get a video launched as soon as it's feasible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to start another pissing match with Riverman but what is the price on gallon since the original idea of this thread was to find another equal quality oil in a more cost effective way. Btw my apolagies to you Canadians I insulted in an earlier thread. Just got a little carried away at one single Canadian. Riverman I hope we can have a more civilized debate next time but this is a typical oil debate so what can I say? Seems they all go this way.
    Last edited by johnboy 88 vegas; 12-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast