Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XD-100 oil replacement?

Has any one tried the sierra full synthetic tcw-3 oil? (pn18-9540) Its claiming that it replaces xd-100 for evinrude etec. Tried premixing a couple quarts in my buddies mercury,ran real good,hardly any smoke nice smell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xd-100 = no smell
    i can get it for around $33 a gallon too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On sierras web site it sais that full synthetic sierra can be used in place of xd-100 on the reduced oil rate. I never heard any oil claim you can use it on the reduced oil rate, thought that was crazy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil is oil. Just use whatever you can find unless your turning over 7 grand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better give a call to Evinrude to see if they will recommend a different brand synthetic oil at the reduced oil setting - don't believe any oil company's claims unless Evinrude OK's them. Call 262-884-5993 for Customer Service.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy 88 vegas View Post
    i tried penzoil premium synthetic 2 stroke oil. my motor smoked and smelled worse than my old 70 yamaha. there is no smoke and zero smell with xd-100.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
    Better give a call to Evinrude to see if they will recommend a different brand synthetic oil at the reduced oil setting - don't believe any oil company's claims unless Evinrude OK's them. Call 262-884-5993 for Customer Service.
    Gee im sure theyll give you a honest answer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bet you if you ran XD100 for a while, you would be riding out across the lake, and notice, man my motor is really running nice. I don't ever remember it running like this before.

There is no better oil in my opinion then XD100.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
    I would bet you if you ran XD100 for a while, you would be riding out across the lake, and notice, man my motor is really running nice. I don't ever remember it running like this before.

Thats great but I personally don't know too many people whos gonna pay the price for it. Oh and my motor always runs nice on $12 a gallon pennzoil but maybe I'm just lucky.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run it. I like it, and you don't ever have to decarb, nothing seems to gum up. Even run it in my 2 stroke yard machines. They run awesome on it. Even my props stay clean on the inside.

If you are happy with what you have, more power to you, however I would recommend you try it. It does make a difference in running quality. I dont' fish to much, usually 3 gallons of oil a year, max, so its not that much money for what I get out of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ratio do you mix it assuming your talking bout the motor in your signature? Just curious. I've been running the Pennzoil synthetic blend in my modded 2.5 200 Merc and it dont smoke one bit at 40:1. On the flip side I just picked up a old XR4 and it smokes a good bit even on 50:1. So next time I fill up the old motor I'll try a quart of the Rude oil and see if it changes things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a couple quarts of the sierra/etec oil to my oil tank this weekend motor seemed to run good on it. Its real thin viscosity like the xd-100 ill let you guys know if the motor does anything weird on it. gonna have to use it for now all out of xd-100

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elite service View Post
    I added a couple quarts of the sierra/etec oil to my oil tank this weekend motor seemed to run good on it. Its real thin viscosity like the xd-100 ill let you guys know if the motor does anything weird on it. gonna have to use it for now all out of xd-100
    Is your E-TEC programmed by the dealer for XD-100 oil only or is it at the factory's TC-W3 setting?

If you are going to use the Sierra oil, be sure the motor is at the TC-W3 setting, otherwise piston scoring may occur after a while, especially after high speed running. I've seen it before with other makes of sythetic oils that people used at the XD-100 programming. They seem to work fine at the TC-W3 setting after they had to have the powerheads repaired.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ratio do you mix it assuming your talking bout the motor in your signature? Just curious. I've been running the Pennzoil synthetic blend in my modded 2.5 200 Merc and it dont smoke one bit at 40:1. On the flip side I just picked up a old XR4 and it smokes a good bit even on 50:1. So next time I fill up the old motor I'll try a quart of the Rude oil and see if it changes things.
    I just pour it into the VRO tank. I run it 50 to 1 in yard equipment. It is thin as mentioned, but I think you will notice if you run it that your engine will just sound different, run better, your carbs won't gum up, and all the places exhaust comes out will start to clean up. You never have to decarb as long as you run it too. I have run Penn synthetic before, trust me, there is no comparison.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
    I agree. The stuff is amazing. The price has been going down too.

Reminds me of house painting. When I do any painting at home I always ask for the best paint available - it ends up saving time, money and effort. Oil is one of the smallest investments we make in high performance, why the heck would anyone cheap out on something so important?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast