Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etec 25 hp upgrades

anyone know much bout the little etec's? 25hp to be specific. can you bump up the hp?

the reason i ask, is we took 3 identical boats to the river to test. 2 having 25 etecs, and 1 having a 25 merc 2 stroke. the 2 stroke merc outrun 1 of the etec 25's but not the other. the one etec was considerably faster than the other etec. they both have the same prop, the setup is the same. i was asking why the one was probably 3 - 4 mph faster and the guy told me that they had a buddy that was real handy with a laptop and he was able to crank it up to about 32hp, but they didnt know exactly how he did it.

i figured it to be BS, but i thought i would ask and see if anyone knows anything about this subject.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you can do that with dealer level software, only the factory rep has the diagnostic program for that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNO-...item58893c51ad
    Don't really know if it works just remembered some guys talking about trying it on a 40hp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Peak up acceleration and dynamism by up to 30 %

OOooooOOoo Dynamism....*swoon*

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i dont think a dealer would have that ability, but this motor was definetly stronger than the other. something had been done to it. i had asked if it was actually a 30 with a 25 and cowl and they said no its a 25 thats turned up and that it will outrun a 30hp. i dunno and they didnt want to tell me or they really didnt know how the guy turned it up. now we are talking about people that are from one of the largest boat manufactures in the world, so i am sure they have plenty of connections with brp and people who would know the ins and outs of this motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 25 and 30 are the same block, I'm pretty sure. Not sure what they do different but it should be in the computer if the rest is the same. We just recently got 2 30hp e-tecs at the shop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The factory service reps cant even reprogram unless engineering sends them a disc. Did you switch boats/props?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The field service rep for BRP for my area is one of the few who can reprogram the EMMs. I've watched him do it to a 225.
    Some engines, no matter the make or use, do work better than others. Boats are one of the few that have many variables - boat manufacturer, prop, hull hooked or not etc. A lot of things have to be just right to get two boats to perform very well equally - both boats performing the same, and performing very well. Especially in the 25 hp range, in my opinion.

pointer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    The factory service reps cant even reprogram unless engineering sends them a disc. Did you switch boats/props?
    no the motors werent switched around on the boats and they did not switch props. i was told before we went to the river that they were doin this to see how much better the one etec ran than the other and vs the merc 25. the guys were talking about while the laptop was hooked up they could turn the motor up to a 35hp but as soon as they unhooked the laptop it would drop to 32hp. i know the boat builder well and know that he wouldnt BS me, but i couldnt help but wonder if he was given bad information, but the one etec clearly was stronger than the other and stronger than the merc 25, and i have never seen an etec 25 outrun the merc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    The field service rep for BRP for my area is one of the few who can reprogram the EMMs. I've watched him do it to a 225.
    Some engines, no matter the make or use, do work better than others. Boats are one of the few that have many variables - boat manufacturer, prop, hull hooked or not etc. A lot of things have to be just right to get two boats to perform very well equally - both boats performing the same, and performing very well. Especially in the 25 hp range, in my opinion.

pointer
    i agree with you Pointer about the variables.

these boats are 21 foot fiberglass flat bottoms designed for shallow water running. the hulls are around 450lbs and the builder says they can vary about 25lbs from hull to hull. the two boats with etecs were brand new never been in the water, the merc powered boat was the builders personal boat and had been in the water several times. the one etec was clearly a stronger runner on bottom and top end. i kinda wondered if they didnt just have 30 decals on a 25 motor but then again, the purpose of this boat test was too see how much better the warmed up etec ran. i am going to go back and visit them maybe later this week and i will try to find out some more info and see if this is a fluke or if its the real deal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you right now there's no way a dealer level software can. You can change the injector flow rates but cannot save them. as soon as I unhook the laptop it goes back to factory settings. But I do know for a fact that our service rep can, I've seen him do it more than once. Not for performance apps but I know it can be changed whatever the rep feels is best for the running of the engine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, what your saying sounds similar to some of the things these guys mentioned. i would say these guys are tighter than anyone in the country with BRP, so if anyone could get favors, it would be them.

i sure am not here to argue if extra power can be had from an etec 25 or how to go about it, because i dont know squat about an etec, but i do know the one motor was quite a bit stronger than the other. in stock form the mercury 25s are outrunning the 25 etecs here on our river, but after running the etec i have decided to get one for myself. a lot of torque, quiet and easy on the fuel and oil. if there is extra power to be had, then i would like it. kinda hard to outrun everyone in your lake boat and then the next day you get outrun in your river boat. i know its just a 25 but i will be fine tunning my setup and playing with props and looking for anything i can to be a little faster than the next guy, lol