Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Lower unit seal

I have discover my out put seal on My V6 200 hp bLACK MAX 1989 is leaking . Can someone tell me how to change it or should I take it to a dealer? I am fairly good with mechanical issues ,

Thank You in advance ,,, Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually cheat a little - go to the mercury dealer, buy the parts, and get some advice. I am in the process of doing mine on a 99 225 efi but I can't beleive it would be too different. This will give you an idea of what you are in for. There are two seals - an inner and outer - on the bearing carrier. The bearing carrier is held in with a retaining ring. You need to remove the threaded retaining ring (easier with the special tool) and then pull the carrier. If it is a salt water engine it is a struggle due to the corrosion - either way it seems some well placed heat from a torch seems to be required. My retaining ring was frozen and had to be cut out. I then broke the bearing carrier because I did not use a torch and did not have the proper carrier puller. I am not a mechanical idiot having replaced two power heads in one year. This just seems to be one of those things that you need to try to get the hang of!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the help I will make a "special tool" to thread out the retaining ring I have a torch if required and I run in only fresh water so maybe it will come out easier .....

Thank you again

Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subscribed ---- proper tools and torque or you will have more problems than a leaking seal . jmo
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advice is wonderful but its not experience unless your time is worthless you can buy a spanner nut wrench for 50.00 or so.on the internet, the carrier puller probably not going to find one online cheap there are two versions available both work both over a 100.00 unless your are wanting to learn to do lower units and rebuild them and replace seals all the time then take it to somebody . im a lower unit rebuilder and very seldom do i resort to heat , but i have and have also cut plenty of case nuts out at 1'' at a time there is more then just R&R on this project like a small press with the proper rigging to push seals in and out and dies for that and so on .
    Last edited by TEXAS20225; 09-23-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower unit seals

Thank you for the advice I am thinking now that this first time I needed a seal replaced ( I have owned boats decades ) maybe I will pay someone to do it . What is a fair price and I guess I should do both seals I know for sure the output seal is leaking ( ring of milky substance ) .

Thank you for the help .... Jim