Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propping a Merc 300xs on Lake & Bay Boca Grande

First off, I previously owned the same boat ( a Lake & Bay 20' all kevlar boca grande w/ pocket drive hull approx. 900lbs.) with a Yamaha 300 HPDI and had the boat props dialed in with a top end of 91mph from a basically stock motor. Can anyone give some advice on what prop will turn out the best top end for this same boat rigged with a 300xs. I was wondering if I could get away with one prop that will turn out the fastest possible top end and at the same time create excellent hole shot and mid range speed/feul economy, or am I going to be using two props to cover my urge to haul ass and fish wit a full load all in the same day. I was also planning on adding a Dave Bush kit (velocity stack, ecu reprogram, and lightening of fly wheel) which would take the h.p./torque both to 325 and raise the rpm's to 6800 from 6400, would that change the prop selection at all for my speed application? I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer their help on these subjects, thank you all.
    Last edited by L&B44MM; 08-27-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What prop was on the boat when it had the 300 yami on it? Merc makes a 4 blade prop just for the XS line of motors. I hear good things about their all round usage. A lightning ET might give you the best top end when light. I have a 1000# flats boat that has a 225 opti on it and it runs 83 mph with a 28 lightning. For fishing I use a trophy plus 26p for a fully loaded top end of 74mph.... More slip than the ET, but planes out good and gives great midrange fuel econ..

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and let me start off by saying nice boat ( post a photo or two ). Im actually surprised I haven't owned one yet myself. To compare the yam and merc is prob not fare to either as Im sure they have different gear ratios. Either way, your looking for the magic prop and as far as I know, everyone is still working on it A " fishing " load ( call it an easy extra 700lbs ) is going to put a dampner on your " hauling azz " performance. Especially if you start with a prop that is great on the big end. Fill up the boat, put one of your " bigger " friends in it with you, cooler full of beer/food, a livewell full of bait, all your gear and then find a good 4 blade for THAT load ( Hydromotive , Trophy, Bravo 1 ( with PVS) ect ect ) a nice big blade wheel should give you enough lift to carry the bow, hold a better midrange and give you the holeshot you are looking for. But when you dump ALL that stuff and want to fly your going to be all over the limiter...... so then starts the process of finding a haul azz wheel as you put it. 2 props is good and really the way to go. Gives you a spare ( NEVER a bad thing to have ) and the ability to go faster when you want. Just my .02

PS- I would probably wait till after you do the DBR upgrades to dually prop the boat. But that's just me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Call Ken at PropGods. I am almost positive he has done prop testing on the combination. You can search his forum for the results but I would call him as well.
    www.propgods.com
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
    Welcome and let me start off by saying nice boat ( post a photo or two ). Im actually surprised I haven't owned one yet myself. To compare the yam and merc is prob not fare to either as Im sure they have different gear ratios. Either way, your looking for the magic prop and as far as I know, everyone is still working on it A " fishing " load ( call it an easy extra 700lbs ) is going to put a dampner on your " hauling azz " performance. Especially if you start with a prop that is great on the big end. Fill up the boat, put one of your " bigger " friends in it with you, cooler full of beer/food, a livewell full of bait, all your gear and then find a good 4 blade for THAT load ( Hydromotive , Trophy, Bravo 1 ( with PVS) ect ect ) a nice big blade wheel should give you enough lift to carry the bow, hold a better midrange and give you the holeshot you are looking for. But when you dump ALL that stuff and want to fly your going to be all over the limiter...... so then starts the process of finding a haul azz wheel as you put it. 2 props is good and really the way to go. Gives you a spare ( NEVER a bad thing to have ) and the ability to go faster when you want. Just my .02

PS- I would probably wait till after you do the DBR upgrades to dually prop the boat. But that's just me.
    I agree with Adam.... I have the same boat pretty much. I run a worked up 26 bravo when fishing and a 28 chopper on the limiter for the big number. Mine is stock with 1.62 sporty. Your hull might be a bit lighter than mine, you might try a 29 tempest or a 30 chop or ET for the big run. The bravo is a great all around wheel when done right. IE. Cup, big vent holes, flare ring removed. I run it more than anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkhAKJvl70
    Cawley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I actually had four different props on the shelf for this boat. My favorite of coarse was the custom cut 29'' prop almost identical to the lightning e.t. which was made special for the boat, this prop didn't want to come out of the hole with less than 5k rpm and would slip like hell unless you eased into plane for about 7-10 seconds, but it would eat it up with the jackplate (Bob's 10" setback) lifted up 2&3/4" which is half in/out. The favored all around was the Trophy Plus 28" 4-blade, it was somewhat slippery out of the hole with massive loads, but mid-range and top end were great. It gave the boat good bow lift with heavy loads and peaked out @ 84mph w/ no load, loaded @ 74mph. I also had a Tempest 3-blade 29", however this prop really didn't perform for me that well showing only 81 top end and slipped in midrange and slow speed in rough water with a slight trim on the jackplate. The last was a 4-blade Power Tech which I was not pleased with either. I only ran the first two after the first month.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the boat pics...I wish that I had some to offer. My computer had a melt down and all the pics(over 50) went down the tube. I'm trying all avenues to recover some photos and will throw some up if I find some.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 20 ft L&B Kevlar Bocagrande with 2005 Merc XS. 3 batteries up front and 1 large Sears platinum AGM. Suggest you be in contact with Mark Croxton. He makes Razor props. I have run Fury's, Tempest plus, Bravo 1, Bravo 1 XS and now the Razor 4 with 8 pvs holes. On my L&B the Razor 4 gives the best hole shot and top speed. B1 XS is second. The Razor props are very beefy and stiff. My experience has been that Croxton has guided me well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that one prop is never enough. If you ever run at higher elevations you will need to prop down for that as well as heavier loads when fishing. You might try a Chopper ll if you ever get a chance for your fishing prop. The holeshot will be good for that 300XS plus the mid range will be exceptional. I would favor an over the hub prop for getting out of the hole with that motor since they don't send that much exhaust out the bottom. The Chopper ll may also out perform the trophy on the top end.
    Last edited by Badbait; 09-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.