Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1995 40hp. Mercury-shop says there is water in number one and four cylinders

Ok Merc guru's... I sold this motor 6 months ago and the guy was unhappy with fuel consumption so he takes it to the shop and they tell him that he has water in 1 and 4 cylinders..This motor has no head gasket so how is water getting into one and four and not the others.. If the exhaust gasket or divider was broken wouldn't water get in all four? Water doesn't travel up so how is one getting it and not 2 and 3..Anyways, the guy is looking to me give him $1200 to have the shop fix it.. I say bull _ _ _ _!....Just want to hear from the guys that know that I am not crazy here and the shop is trying to pull a fast one.. I will see the motor next week, start it and check for water intrusion on the plugs for those cylinders... Thanks Guys for the anticipated opinions..

Regards,

Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A broken reed will let water travel up the tuner pipe into the cylinder due to the fact the failed reed is not now acting as a one way air valve.Those particular motors will snap reeds if they are over revved for long periods.Just a possibility. hf...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this guy does a lot of trolling and is no speed demon so reeds would be the last thing I would think of...can it be anything else or a shop just looking for work? Also when I see it next week a reed that is letting water in would not run right so I should see that if it is the case...

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exhaust baffle plate gasket possibly. Yes water can go only in one cylinder or two cylinders... If is only this, is a not expensive fix... JP
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree, the exhaust baffle can be messed up just enough to squirt water like a water gun. Bottom cylinder can suck water in thru the bottom bearing seals ... could have multiple problems, but both are easy fixes for someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that happen to a 60hp Merc I was running and it turned out to be the exhaust baffle gasket. Easy fix for me.
    '72 Glastron GT-150 Johnson Stinger 65
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint 2.4 225 Mercury
    '05 Hydrostream Voyager 250xs optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all... I will tear off the exhaust baffle gasket and replace..this was the cleanest 40h.p I have ever sold so I know the baffle isn't the issue. Talked to my local dealer and they almost never see these problems unless salt water use destroys the baffle itself or for some reason the gasket goes away like it did for gregpro50 above..Easy fixes that don't cost $1200 to fix but again here is a marine shop using scare tactics to get money from my guy...Hell I can find him another 40h.p almost for that money!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I got faxed the report from the marine shop..water is only in number 4 so most like crank seal..what bothers me is that the report says there is rust in the cylinder as they put fogging oil in the cylinder to stop further rusting...Question, can I replace the crank seal and exhaust gasket without tearing down the motor and honing number 4 cylinder? The compression is 90 accross all cylinders according to the shop report..Leakdown is 6%....What do you guys think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better open complete engine, the end bearing is rusty i'm sure..Check your compression with another gauge 90 is low usualy 120-125 is ok if only 90 change rings.. More expensive but safe this way and new rings make a strong used engine...
    Last edited by JP Love; 08-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like he said. 90 is a bit low if those readings are accurate. I wouldn't be comfortable doing the bare minimum with those numbers.
    '72 Glastron GT-150 Johnson Stinger 65
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint 2.4 225 Mercury
    '05 Hydrostream Voyager 250xs optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got it guys..I will tear it down, re-ring it look at the bearing and go from there....can't have it apart and not do everything....thanks for the responses...