Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ProMax 225 woes

Okay, here goes. First post here and hoping to find some help as others "in the know" have encouraged me to post here.

I own a 2000 ProMax 225. When I bought it a year ago (with boat), it had 20 hours on a new rebuild. (not sure of details of re-build as the guy died a few months ago, but I believe it was a new power head). I've put an additional 40 hours on it over the past year. A couple weeks ago, while I was out fishing, it seemed to be running fine, but mid day as I slowly started idling up, I heard chunk, chunk, chunk, and it died. Seized up. I dropped it at the dealer's for diagnostics and this is what I was told......

This is NOT oil failure, but the #3 piston broke from the back side. (Broke the skirt off). They suggested that I buy a new power head and let them fix it for a total of $6500-7000. After crying quietly to myself for a bit, I told them not to touch it. Just pulled it back home on Friday and it sits while I investigate my options.

I have never torn into a marine motor, but I've completely tore down and fixed any mechanical problems I've ever encountered on my cars/trucks with common sense and shear determination.

First, does this sound like a problem that warrants a new power head? If this were my truck, I'd probably pull the head, have it machined and sleeved, replace broken parts and put it back on the road. Is this not advisable with a 2 stroke?

If so.....then I probably won't build this back as a 225 as I don't need to generate the 6500+ RPMs that I have and try to slow it down a bit. I've read that I can rebuild as a 200 and it will give me much more reliability at the end of the day. Ultimately, that's what I want. I need to go fish...I don't need to go fast.

Any advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Chris/Fender66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Chris
    Sorry about your troubles. Thats a lot of money! this is Just my opinion. I would check out the buy and sell market place. you can get good deals on power heads and complete motors that are ready to go. Check out the 200 Mercury thread. its an older Mercury but the guy said it has a fresh rebuild with a good XR4 gear case for $2995.. there are other motors on there too. you could keep your lower unit and motor for spare parts or sell them to recover some of your loss. I know a good stock lower units sell for $700 to $1000 and the old block could be worth $400 or $500 if can be rebuilt. The ECU,fuel pump and other parts could almost pay for the older rebuilt Mercury. lots of options! sometimes you just have to bite the bullet cut your losses and get back fishing and move on.

GM ><>
    Last edited by captglm; 08-09-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that was a new powerhead it will have a warranty,if it was a reman powerhead it will have a warranty, gather up the paperwork and find out!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a manual and a flywheel puller, take off all the electrical keeping everything attached and tear into it. In no time you'll see how bad it is. Keep it a 225. No advantage changing it, only headaches. You can sleeve it as you suggested. No big deal.
    Allison XB02, 22ft Tritoon 225 4 stroke, two seadoo sparks

Past rides 2001 STV EURO, Allison Grandsport, STV RiverRocket, STV Euro, STV ProComp, Hydrostream V-King
    RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys....I didn't disclose that I'm running a jet pump on this engine and I want to keep that. I run some pretty skinny waters here in Missouri and outside of a canoe, a jet is the only way I can have the best of both lake and river worlds. I'm going to tear into it later tonight if my meetings don't run too late.