Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRC / Rotax /Johnson outboard ?

Okay, I know the economy sucks (still) and the marine industry has been hit very hard but I keep wondering when is BRC going to resurrect the Jonson name with a line of 4 stroke engines designed by Rotax.

It is so obvious, I think the only reason it has not happened is the R&D $$$ !

Any rumors ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great idea. I haven't heard any rumors, but it certainly would make sense for Rotax to get more involved in the R&D for the BRP company as a whole. I'd love to see Johnson come back - as 4 stroke or otherwise. Seeing what Yamaha did, I think it would be great for them to start with a clean slate. They already have the midsection and lower units to work with...it would be powerhead and design treatments they would have to worry about.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam Ive spoken to some of the guys you probably have and they Look at me like a deer in headlights, BRP does not get NO MATTER how good,quiet,efficient etc the Etec is some folks will not BUY IT......Bring back the White and Charcoal Johnsons, ROTAX 4 strokes are Frickin Legendary, and make the masses happy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It allows them to provide choice and it's good for the dealer network. I know there were people stepping on toes when we had Johnson dealers and Evinrude dealers in the same town and they were offering the same engine, but why cede all 4 stroke sales to another company?
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was interesting

I for one have always been a Johnson Outboard fan. I was raised on them and hate the fact there are no new Johnson motors. For grins I clicked on the Johnson link on the BRP Homepage and thought his was interesting:

Johnson is a part of BRP's heritage and many Johnson engines are still on the water. BRP will continue to manufacture Johnson parts and offer service for Johnson parts for existing engines. Distributors and dealers in all markets will continue to have access to spare parts to support continued enjoyment of Johnson powered boats. We are contemplating the various options that exist to perpetuate the Johnson brand and will share further information as it is readily available.For More Info:

http://www.johnson.com/en-US/Index.htm

I agree, while I think its pretty balzy for BRP to hedge its outboard business all on the ETEC, it would be nice for them to do something with the ROTAX technology or something for a 4-Stroke line-up with the nice WHITE Johnson Seahorse badging.
    Allison XB2002 Comp Pro / 2.6L Yamaha 200 VMAX TRP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Bring back Johnson in one way or another. Push the "Mom and Pop" dealerships like they had in the past. We have enough superstore dealerships selling like car dealerships. Just my 2 cents worth.....
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99fxst99 View Post
    I agree. Bring back Johnson in one way or another. Push the "Mom and Pop" dealerships like they had in the past. We have enough superstore dealerships selling like car dealerships. Just my 2 cents worth.....
    Yep, when they quit giving the super stores huge breaks on engines and parts that crap will stop but as of now they have Platnium, Gold and Silver dealers witch mean how much you buy from them gets you said label and discount. Its all BS and pushes out competition witch limits you to one or two dealers when you could pick from four or five in your area. They may sell a lot of engines but that same dealer may not be good at repairing them and thats where the customer gets pissed. Let alone paying $100.00 per hour to get any work done out of warranty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of maintenance is one of the reasons I don't want to go away from my older carb motor. Heck I can work on it, albeit with a little help sometimes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dealership level does not change parts pricing if you are a full line dealer. Non full line dealers (packaged boats/engines) do get less discount on parts. As you purchase more engines you move up levels as the year goes, so if you dont buy enough to start you can still get to that level. I watch this very close.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
    Okay, I know the economy sucks (still) and the marine industry has been hit very hard but I keep wondering when is BRC going to resurrect the Jonson name with a line of 4 stroke engines designed by Rotax.

It is so obvious, I think the only reason it has not happened is the R&D $$$ !

Any rumors ?
    ...i think your on to something wizard...

11. Likes LakeFever liked this post