Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on Distributor / Rev Limiter for jet boat

I have a 455 olds going into a CVX-21. Along the way of putting this boat back together many people have really helped me piece things togther (i purchased this boat as a project that was about 1/4 of the way complete

The boat is not intended to be fast - just fun and I am trying to save some bucks.

I have the HEI distributor that the previous owner had used. It looks to be in decent shape. That's the only part of the system that I have. Is there a way to check the distirbutor to see if it will be functional?

My only experience with boat ignition systems is the old points, condenser, coil, etc.

Assuming the HEI distributor that I have is functional, what is the bare minimum in terms of other components that I need to purchase in order to make this HEI distibutor work? Anyone have an opinion on brands / stores / part numbers?

If i were to purchase a rev limiter - which seems like a smart investment, what's a low-cost one that'll do the job? The prices seem to range quite a bit!

Thank you very much for any advice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEI is a rock solid platform. As long as the distributor is complete all you need is a 12 VDC wire hooked to the BAT terminal to make it work. As for rev limiters there is a variety of solutions. Everything from replacement HEI modules with a built in rev limiter to external devices like the MSD soft touch or Pertronix Flame thrower. Google HEI conversion. You will find more than enough info on installing that distributor. How about some pics of the project?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davis unified ignitions (DUI)
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm

State of the art marine USCG approved.
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC