My wife let me get a newer motor for my 1983 Action marine 19'. (it cost me big time) I replaced a Merc 200 with a 2004 Optimax 250XS - low water pickup, thick shaft. I am trying to get the right set up with engine height and props. I noticed that the 250 XS is a bit heavier so the back end sits lower in the water. I have a manual jack plate (should probably get a hydraulic). Getting chine walking, quite aggressive at about 65 mph. Tried two props a 3 blade tempest 27" and a 4 blade Bravo 26". Similar performance. question that I have, how high should the motor be? It's about 4" above the transom with max height. The prop hub is still below the pad when I raise it to the max and I still get chine walk that is hard to control. Not as bad walking with more people in the boat.

Even with the 27" 3 blade I max out at about 5100 RPM and get it to about 75 mph with the trim down. but it is still slow out of the hole. I am thinking I should raise the motor higher to try to get it to fly. Other question is what type of props should I try?

Your advice and wisdom is always welcome.

Alex