First post.

I have had my Mercury for 20 years, and two overhauls by a Los Angeles shop, the second overhaul because they did not determine cause of death on first failure (stuck thermostat)... so this time I am doing labor myself.

I had it out on the Lake fathers day for the first time in 10 years..... and the clear oil line from the oil injection pump to the fuel inlet broke.... engine seized lightly and made a bad sound... back on the trailer untill this week

I tore it down and found scuffing on the port cyls, the port pistons need replacement, the top one is already .030 and has the worst damage of the 3 port cyls.

I am going to use my old motorcycle racing trick of washing the aluminum off the cylinder walls with pool acid (the merc manual says use tidy bowl) and then have it measured by a machine shop to see what it needs.

The questions:

who makes .030 pistons for this engine? (has 636 8118 rods) I only see std and .015 on the mercury parts site.

who can reccomend a good machine shop to do the boring / honing / sleeving as required ?

Thanks a million!

Bruce

1991 Barefoot Sanger
200 hp 2.5L carb merc