Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I recently purchased a 78 switzer the boat needs some work and I was wondering if any one could give some information on these hulls and what I can expect from it. I would like to hang a bridgeport on it is this hull worth the time and money thanks for any info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 16 1/2' Switzer. Forgot if it was a '76 or '78
    Inline 140 would go about 60 on the speedo. Validated by pacing cars on the parkway.
    I don't know what it'll do but the transom will probably need re-inforcement. I did change the transom in mine and it was pretty easy. Strengthing it would take a little more inginuety. The stringers didn't go up very far.
    I liked it but after awhile I stopped taking it out so I bought an STV
    Maybe a cheaper smaller engine would be better but I don't know what they can handle.
    How big is it?
    '90 STV
    '96 260
    under construction

for far too long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1973 170s (I think that is the number). It was a 17' was a 135hp on it when I picked it up. Later on I put a v6 150 on it. With the 150 a 1/4 stainless plate was added to the back of the transom. With that set up and a 24 pich 4 blade I was at 55 - 60 MPR. With no pad on this v bottom at 50+ was unruly at best. If you put sold engine mounts and dual steering this may settle that down to a safer ride.
    John Dorn
    97 Triad 225 ProMax.
    67 (Howard Pipkorn) Hustler Wildcat with a 67 Mec 1100ss
    www.pipkornhustler.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switzer

I'm no authority on Switzers that's for sure but a good friend has one. A 170 I believe. Pretty sure it has no pad. He bought it with a 150 straight 6 Merc. Beefed up the transom and stuck an early 80's 235 Johnson on it. The boat and motor have weatherd 20 years of water skiing and loads of rough water abuse and both are still in great shape. His is a chine walking machine though. Most have exited the boat a little pale after there first ride! Always loved that boat anyways.

Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got No Data.....

on yer 78 Switzer, but as for "worth rebuilding" any old boat w/ a solid hull is worth the time! I love my 77 Baja! it looked like junk when I found it but 3 months later and it's looking like a real boat again. I would have to total the receipts but it's not cost us that much yet. I figure I'll have just about the same into it as if I would have purchased one ready to go, but for me, part of the fun is seeing what most would have, and did, call a POS and turning it into a work of art! There's something about the pride in knowing that you "did it". I don't know, maybe it sounds crazy? Kinda like jumping off an unknown dock into a pile of rocks? Yup just Plum Crazy!
    Here's some pics of the project so far! Keep us posted on what you decide to do!
    http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bajascott2000
    Scott
    '77-16' Baja, '77 Johnson V4
    Winner: Rumble 2003
    By-U-Boyz Pikk Ov Tha Litter award
    Scottraby@charter.net