Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleekcraft sst setback help

I'm putting a 3.0 liter on the back of an sst sleekcraft. Is 15" set back to much 10" bracket and 5" of jack plate ? I read they like lot of setback ? how much heavier is a 3liter to a 2.5 ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 300x is just over 500lbs. I've heard they do need a lot of set back cause they don't pack air like other mod VPs. I'm going with 10 inches of set back on my 21 Sleekcraft JR executive tunnel. My boat is heavy but more then ten inches of set back and your handling will be in the toilet. Speed is great but your going to need to turn too. I haven't got my transom redone yet and waiting on more cash flow to get the bob's jack plate. Not sure how heavy a 260 or 280 is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use the search function and find riverrat here on the board...he used to run a sleeker sst....i remember reading that they like a ton of set back....for some reason 12-15" sounds right to me but youll want to verify that with someone who knows these boats first hand....good luck and welcome to scream and fly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mite hit up Flat Sleek on the board. I believe his sleekcraft has a 3.0L on it. I don't think you will need 15 inches with that 3.0l. I'm by far no expert but my mod v sleek flys the bow pretty well with 12 inches and a 2.4l. My set up is not dialed in yet but goin from 6 inches to 12 made all the difference in the world. But it will still run faster into the wind so that shows me that it still needs a little more lift. I think I can achieve that with the right prop. Good luck with your rig.
    Last edited by ship79; 07-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the the rocker(add to the back) from the back half of the center pod,step the center pod 8 inchs from the back of the transome and set the motor back 10 inchs.Leave steering on starboard side.Expect 85 from 200 hp and 110 from 280 hp.Good luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tunnelfun, your saying to set up a pad to ride on? "Remove the rocker and add to the back". Could you elaborate more? I could see making a step in the center pod cause I've thought about that too. And your speeds with the two motors are a little on the perfect set up, into a 5mph wind, by yourself, and running on fumes don't you think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraft sst View Post
    I'm putting a 3.0 liter on the back of an sst sleekcraft. Is 15" set back to much 10" bracket and 5" of jack plate ? I read they like lot of setback ? how much heavier is a 3liter to a 2.5 ?
    I've got a 300 promax that weighs 465lbs with a 10" Bobs hydraulic on mine and it seems to be well balanced but I think a couple more inches of setback would equal a few more mph but being a flats fishing boat I need to keep the draft as shallow as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg   019.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general rule of thumb is less setback for heavier motors. How will depend on your hulls fulcum point if ya really want to set her up right.

If you have the time and resorses this is what I would do. Take your well setup boat and motor 2.5 with the optimam setback setup the way you like. Get a crane or Hiab or some lifting device to lift the whole hull up in the air. Set down the hull very lightley on a round foam covered log or something. Thats why I mean gently!!!! You want to move the log around to find the ballance point of the hull. Were she is ballanced fore and aft. Mark that spot on the hull. Thats your fulcrum point. Now when you mount the 3.0lt do this again and have some differant setbacks on hand untill you get back on that same fulcrum point. That would be what your trying to achieve with setback and a heavier motor. Hence why youll need less. Theres other things you can do like move the gas tank forward a bit ,Batterys etc... But if you can find the hulls fulcum point with the 3.0lt your setup will be safer and really well balanced so more efficiant also. You can guess and be close but the teader todder way is simple and effective.

Another way is to have long steel beam over the hull attached at each end of the hull with long slings. The center of the beam has an eye to fasten to the highab/crane comalong over an oak tree branch etc... You can lift set dowm move the eye and lift again untill you find an equal ballance point were the motor and the bow are level. Again thats your balance point. Best to this whith you in the helm for perfict balance with yor wieght. Its a PITA but I think its well worth the result??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like flat sleek setup I think I'm going to make a 8" bracket and put my 5" jack plate on and give it a try . I have removed the well from the boat and with my 3.0 lt 15" mid I will be a few pounds ligther and it going to look bad ass I'm hoping to get this boat together soon or I will go nut. Thanks everyone for all your help and keep it coming I love all the help Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat sleek what kind of speed do you see I know your not set up for top speed but you have to haul ass for a fishing boat. If I don't see 90's I will feel like I wasted a lot of money. Lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, I found if you want the SST to pack air like a drag hull all to need to do is run tunnel skegs on the outer edges of the tunnels, hang 2.5"s of aluminum from the transom forward 36"s and have the leading edges fade into the tunnel this will prevent the air from spilling out and keep the hull from teeder toddering on the pod, that is one of the issues with a mod vp hull design when going for all out top speed and not turning corners like they were designed to do. This will effect handling but not as much as a ton of setback will and the hulls balance point wont be as effected. The stability will be way better at higher speeds. I own the mold to the SST 20 if anyone is interested in it let me know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat sleek what kind of speed do you see I know your not set up for top speed but you have to haul ass for a fishing boat. If I don't see 90's I will feel like I wasted a lot of money. Lol
    i think 90's will be hard to obtain in a production layup boat....the sleekers like to carry the weight in the rear (as far back as posible) and they fly the bow high...be carefull and have fun....post up some pics as you get it put together...and keep us posted

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rocker is the problem

The sst is built with a big rocker in the center sponson from front to back.The two outside sponsons are straight.Start at a point many feet forward of the transome(5 to 7) and make the center sponson running surface match the running angle of the outer sponsons exactly.Then the back half of the boat will no longer have any rocker in it.Make the entire back running pad flat.Put an 8 inch step in the rear of the pad.I have already been through this with the sst.The boat ran 85 with 200 hp,20 gallons of gas,2 people.The boat ran 114 with 260 hp 2.5 merc.Again gentlemen,the banana bottom must go.It is a basic design fault that no band aid will fix.Accept this then make the correction and you will have a great boat.Any questions?To the owner of the sst molds,fix your molds and you will sell a lot of great boats. Goodluck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does about 80 or so but feels quite a bit faster sitting up on the deck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a few pics of the mod done to my Aristocrat. my knowledge of hull design is very limited so I decided to just extend the strakes on the center pod all the way to the transome hoping to add some lift, tracking and stability. never having driven it before the mod I dont know if it was good or bad. I thought about doing a notched pad but didn't feel like going through all that not knowing if it would work. one of these days when the bottom gets too rough from scraping over oyster bars maybe I'll do a pad, at least now that I have a good idea how it runs I'll be able to tell if there is much improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA082155.jpg   5-15-10 003.jpg   5-15-10 002.jpg   5-18-10 013.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast