Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wierd Problem

1997 Mercury 200 EFI with PCU. When I try to start the motor after it has been ran it will start idle up then die. You then have open the throttle slightly to get it to start. Once it starts it idles fine. I think it might be the sensor on the PCU that gets the vacum off the engine causing the problem. I have adjust the idle tried my different settings on the PCU and adjusted the idle timming. Nothing has helped Doen't make any sense why this thing starts as soon as you hit the key then dies . It seems like its flooding because it smoke after it finally starts until I get the motor cleaned out then appears to idle and run ok. Any ideas? Also I have rebuilt the fuel pump with no change.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your electric fuel pump working ? Might try jumping the PCU fuel pump electrics and hook direct for a test. Also is the air barb clear ?

Folks here having issues with collapsing inner fuel lines due to the "corn squeezing" fuels !

Just a few suggestions.
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar problem last year and this year on my 1995 Evinrude. I hooked up a 3 gallon tank with 2 gallons of fresh premium and a can of Sea Foam and ran it at idle for 5 minutes and then shut it off for 15 minutes then started again and blew out lots of smoke. Then I took it for a ride on the 3 gallon tank and blew out the rest. It's been fine since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spbutler View Post
    I had similar problem last year and this year on my 1995 Evinrude. I hooked up a 3 gallon tank with 2 gallons of fresh premium and a can of Sea Foam and ran it at idle for 5 minutes and then shut it off for 15 minutes then started again and blew out lots of smoke. Then I took it for a ride on the 3 gallon tank and blew out the rest. It's been fine since.
    I have oil injection, so if you don't, you would need to add some oil to the portable tank of course.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay

The barb is clean and pulling a vacuum at idle. Pump is running, I can hear it come on when the key is turned on. Its the crazy the motor fires right up revs slightly then dies like its out of gas. If I crack the throttle slightly it starts, then I usually need to clear it out a little then it idles fine and runs good. If I come of plane and take off again it runs fine. Only have the issue when I cut the engine off then attempt to restart. May need to send the PCU back to Tony for a check-up. I got a funny feeling its the part on the PCU that the vacuum hose hooks to that's causing me the problem. What would a FUEL INJECTOR stuck open cause?