Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vandal sits uneven in the water

I just bought a vandal and trailer for $125,no motor no seats. I've had a viking for 17 years, I just liked the idea of a smaller hydro. Well long story short and I'm sure everyone on here knows where I'm going with this... I think it most likely needs a restoration (I was hoping to put in some seats and a motor and away I go). The main issue is I put it in the water to see if it would float and it leans heavily to the side (there is nothing in it so it wouldn't be weighed down by anything. I did some research and came up with it is possibly the foam is wet and causes that. Am I on the right track with that thinking and do I basically need to do a compleat restoration. If so any advise (I do know I am over my head but that's why I'm putting it out there, thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The foam boxes often get wet. cut some holes into the box near the back with a whole saw and dig around a bit. I took mine out last year. It doesn't take a lot of weight to throw the balance of the boat off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks P man, will do! I've been researching foam places and I think I'll end up doing the mixture stuff, just not sure which brand yet. I was gonna sell it but maybe if it's just a foam issue I'll hold on to it. Well thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vandal didn't have any foam in boxes or under the floor. Just a small amount under the deck.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the vandal did not get foam boxes until 1979. the Coast Guard required a float test and the Vandal failed, as did the Viper, Vector, Viking and Vamp/Ventura II. That year they all got the side mounted foam boxes and down-rated HP (Vandal went from 90 to 80, Vector went from 155 to 145, etc.). The Vector was originally rated for 165 hp, then went to 155 in 1977, then 145 in 79 (to keep the V6 150 off it's transom).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John is my 1978 Ventura 2 safe with the 2liter 150 I put on her? Its a 1981 2liter with no injection, runs great on the back and my rub rail is still above the water line, shes a Lil Nose high but looks cool I guess, minus the ugly paint jobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Iphone pics 053.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	238708

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "safe"? Relative term, not gonna answer that. Put it this way...there's a whole lot of Ventura IIs out there with V6 power...lots more than 150. While these boats were never designed for that kind of power, many (including me) have run them with twice the power they were designed for and lived to tell the tale.

Tiger