Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90TLR - do I need reeds?

My 90TLR has two running characteristics that I'm not happy with.</SPAN>

The first being a sputtery idle, though the RPM is ok (as in not too low).</SPAN>

The second issue is that it has a fairly wide (600-700 RPM) band that it won’t run in – it’ll run any speed I want on either side of this “no man’s land”. It doesn’t seem to be a linkage or likewise mechanical issue.</SPAN>

Would these behaviors be reed issues?</SPAN>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More likely a fuel restriction or perhaps idle air adjustment. Run the idle air screws all of the way in to a soft stop and back out 1 1/4 turns.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u did not say what rpm problem or what year (would help) -----IF IT HAS TIMING NEETLE ON IGNTION PACK HAVE SEEN THOSE CAUSE PROBLEM LIKE THAT --so here's one i found -----wiggle trigger wires with it running on hose or in water and if it causes to run erratic. i have seen trigger wire broken and not make contact in middle of it turning stroke. long shot but one never the less . if it's been sitting up ---i would clean carbs before i ran it again . Mitch
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ray and Mitch! Ray, I bought this motor brand new in a crate last fall and rigged it myself - I think it's a late 2008 build. It has maybe 20 hours on it. I use fresh gas, along with stable and sea foam. The troublesome RPM range is in the mid 2000s (fortunately).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF I Remember correctly you have the ignition box with the pointer arm showing timing ----take the TIMING arm off and tape the needle to the position it is in when throttle is wide open ---run it if problem goes away it'S the timing position sensor in ignition box --------------ps --it may idle a little high when you do this . if excessive ---idle IT down AT CARBS--- you can also move the timing pointer with with arm removed at idling and see if it cuts up between idle advance and and full advance .
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. HARDEE View Post
    ... take the TIMING arm off and tape the needle to the position it is in when throttle is wide open ...
    Hi Mitch - this is the timing arm, correct?

I'm guessing I can unclip it from the right side, pull it over to the WOT position and tape it to the top of the box.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct -------you can take the arm loose and crank on the hose and turn the timing needle through its range and see if it cuts up or you can tape it in wot position and go run it. if you unclip it from the neetle (left)make sure you get right behind the ball or it will break the plastic socket