Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question...Engine hight & nose cone

This is a pic of how high my engine is when it runs the fastest. I run 9" setback. The top of the staight edge is the bottom of my boat. How many inch's am I above or below the bottom. Do you measure off of the prop shaft?

Also this nose cone has water intakes on the top side of the bullet. Can I get away without a cone? I was told by some that the boat would be faster without. And some say faster with? So far 75MPH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02053.jpg  
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're running under 80 mph, you'd be better off with a stock gearcase. The only advantage of the cone is the low-water pickup. You would be able to plug the top two stock inlet holes and run it at the height you're running right now, which appears to be about 2" below the pad. I also run a small-hub trophy plus, and it likes that height too, although mine has actually run a bit faster around 1" to 1 1/2" below. The only bad thing about that prop at higher heights, is that slip and rpm and excessive at mid-throttle. At 30-50 mph cruising speeds, it runs a much more efficient slip and lower RPM if I bury the jackplate a bit more.

Any nosecone will have a tendency to kill bow lift. Both of us would benefit from the use of a stock gearcase if we each had one.

-Chad
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Chad

I do have a guy that will let me try a stock gear case this spring. He said he has seen guys pic up as much as 8MPH going to a stock case. I was going to send mine into Bobs to have the case redone. But, I think I better wait to see the outcome of a case without a cone.

Thanks again Chad
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What size motor are you running on that Baja

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Bob has a nice rig !

His boat is immaculate in and out.
    One of the nicest looking rigs out there for Fish and Ski.
    75mph with a nosecone thats not on real straight and a non pad V hull. Have you tried a 26P on it yet Bob? Dave L swears the 25 is a slacker compared to a 26. Only a slight drop in rpm and a good speed gain with the 26. I think it was Boger that did the nice work on the Trophy's .
    Motor is a ProMax block with a few mods--exhaust chest 1/2 cut and rod slot work. Its got a 5 petal front and flowed injectors, a Rapair modded ECU and some mild 34cc heads. Rods are weight matched as well, ProMarine thick ring pistons. Pulls strong all the way up . Its making some good HP --a 225 OS (A23)ECU was a little lean for it. 240-245HP?
    Are you still out running Bob???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words Steve

My last run was yesterday. Had to take it out over dinner for one last ride.
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much setback do you have and have you tried a chopper yet.Mine is the same length but the closed bow ss version. Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, so you have a Baja also?
    I started out with just the land and sea Jack plate 4 1/2" But that just wasnt enough. So I add a land & sea stepNjack 5" For a combination of a little over 9" and that is just perfect.

So what year is yours and what motor do you run? Are you useing a nose cone?
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine is a 1984 184ss with a stock merc 200 with reeds and solid mounts.It has no cone and has 10'' setback plate with a 4'' jackplate. Right now I'm running a 28 chopper and the best speeds so far are 74.6 on GPS. I'd still like to try some more props and a few setup items to see if I can bump 80. Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run a 24 Merc chopper, ran 73 gps at 6700. So far I have had the hardest pull and fastest speed with a trophy. Do you have that high windshield also? I am planning on running in spring once with it off. Hope to hit 80 then also I know its holding me back alot.
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bob I have the short windshield just like Pyros old Baja.I have run a 26 chopper before I repaired the jack motor and damaged skeg but ran the same speed and more rpms.The boat chime walks above 70 and the steering is to stiff to controll at those speeds right now and I'm gonna replace the cables soon.You might try a taller wheel you seem to have a lot more motor than mine. Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, If I do run into someone with a bigger wheel I will definintly give her a try. My motor is suppose to run at higher RPM's though. The rev limiter is at 6800.

I had a big heavy 225 Evenrude on the boat before this motor. 4" setback was all I needed at that time to get the weight to transfer. As I would trim that thing out I would chine walk real bad also. When I purchased the merc, I lost about 100 pounds motor weight. I would just loose bite when I would trim out so I added more setback. Now I could trim out, but it would chine walk real bad also. I found out that by trimming in a bit when it would chine walk, and then raise the jack a bit more, I would accually loose the chine walk and gain speed. If you look under members photo's under Barefoot Bob, you will see a pic of the boat all aired out. That is 73 MPH and out of control. There is one marked 75 GPS. The boat is laying flater on the water, is easyer to control,and has more speed.

I have a dual cable setup for sale. I purchased a Teleflex Pro series Hydralic steering system. I wish I would have spent the money long ago. Its the greatest and easy to control. Rick Racer has the best price on them.
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com