Last Fall I purchased a15' GW Invader from GW1250 on this site. The boat was originally owned by Specboatops on this site. The boat has a Merc J-Block (1974). From past postings of GW1250, I know that the engine experienced some running issues last summer. GW1250 discussed many of those issues in a thread on this site. I don't know how to link to those threads within this posting, but I can access all of that information.

I have not had an opportunity to take the boat out on the water yet, but am planning to take it to Minnesota in August for a week of vacation on a Lake. The boat is at my brother's place and I have actually only seen it once when I visited earlier this Spring. At that time I did get the engine to start but couldn't let it run as I had no immediately available method of providing water to the cooling system. My plans are to keep the boat and engine for a long time so I have no objections to putting some money into it if needed.

I would like to purchase some upgrades, mostly to the electrical systems, so that I have some parts available to try during the time I have the boat on the water for a week in August. From the past postings some members of this site recommend items like a new switchbox, such as those that are available from CDI Electronics.

Although I have worked on a number of 2 stroke outboard engines, I do not have much experience with Mercs. I have purchased service and parts manuals to help me get familiar with the 1500.

I'm looking for input from people that know these motors, regarding recommendations for any system upgrades I should consider for using the boat later this summer as well as any longer term recommendations. I appreciate any advice and I can provide greater detail about the motor in additional posts.