Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc 280 temp gauge & warning horn questions

I bought a Merc 280 (2.5L EFI), which came without a wiring harness and gauges. Seems to run fine: 10 PSI at 5000 rpm and 12-14 PSI at 7000 rpm. I do not have a warning horn or temp gauge hooked up. Need to know if the motor has a temp gauge sensor and what color the trigger wire is for that? Also, does it have an overheat horn sender and what color is the wire for that? I do have a temp gauge and a warning horn that I would like to hook up.

What should be the proper running temperature for this motor? At what temperature should the warning horn sound?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boot2.jpg   boot3.jpg   boot4.jpg   merc-2.5.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temp gauge wire is tan. If there is a sensor, it will be connected to the port side head, between #2 and #4 sparkplug.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oskiier30 View Post
    Temp gauge wire is tan. If there is a sensor, it will be connected to the port side head, between #2 and #4 sparkplug.
    This is correct. 280s came with a head temp sensor/horn sender on one cylinder head. The tan wire from that plugs into the tan wire on the harness and the horn is in the control box if you have a merc box i think, somebody correct me if im wrong. My 280 runs around 140deg idling and between 155-165deg wide open. I think the horn beeps somewhere around 180deg.