Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harold Bateman-Augusta powerboat racing pioneer dies at 89

For those that don't know, Mr. Bateman was the Father of Robin Lamkin, wife of Wally and legendary boat racer Donald Bateman. One of his grandsons, Travis Bateman, frequents this site and has sold a few of his old/new STV's to members on here.

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers during these trying times.

We will be trying organizine a ride on Clarks Hills in his honor.

Here is the article from the Augusta Chronicle.

Augusta powerboat racing pioneer dies at 89

By Bill Baab

Monday, June 6, 2011

Harold Bateman, a powerboat racing pioneer in the Augusta area, died Monday. He was In the 1960s, outboard motorboat racing on Thurmond Lake was beginning to gain in popularity and Bateman was in the thick of it.

Races were held on Keg Creek out of what is now called Wildwood Park. Bateman and his son, Donald, not only were racing competitors but also did their best to promote the sport wherever they went.

Long before those races got started, Lake Olmstead was the place to go to watch hydroplane races on weekend afternoons.

Bateman's marine dealership in Martinez became a hotbed of powerboat racing activities, with racers dropping by to pick up pointers from the owner, who was an expert at setting up boats and motors to race.

He even sponsored a racing team that included him, his son and others. Come the weekends, they were off to the races throughout the Southeast.

He was responsible, in part, for many area residents getting involved in the sport. They included Rusty Campbell, of Augusta.

"If you wanted your boat to run fast, you couldn't do any better than to talk to Harold," Campbell said. "He was an innovator and had an imagination. Rarely do you find people like Harold who could put that combination together and make it work."

Bateman held many outboard racing records, and even after retiring from racing, he never lost his enthusiasm for the sport.
    Last edited by Scott Tharpe; 06-07-2011 at 10:37 AM.

100+mph in 800' STV River Rocket w/modified 260 SOLD

100+mph GPS'd TRIAD V-21 w/stock 2.5 260 SS (85mph wid da 200EFI so far!!!!!) SOLD

22' SmokerCraft Deck Boat wid a 200EFI(not GPS'd Yet)
    ALLISON XB2002-Gotta rig it now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news, but I knew he had to be getting up there. We watched Harold race many times at Kings Ferry Ga. and Beaufort S.C. In 1971 Harold took his Allison tunnel to Miami and beat the 'unbeatable' Doug Pearl for the SJ national title. That was probably the most noteable win for the Allison tunnel. He truly loved the sport and was a big influence on everyone here in the Southeast. If he would have ever gotten a factory ride his name would be up there with Bill, Reggie and Earl. He really knew how to get the most out of a tunnel boat. He was instumental in making the Champ boat races in Augusta a reality. We have great racing memories of Bateman Racing.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad News... Harold will be missed..

"Harold Bateman" was a great man!! In the mid 70s & 80s Harold helped me many times work
    on my boats. He was always looking for a little more speed for a little less money. Only
    person I would let break in my new 1987 2.4 Bridgeport on my 1986 STV... We blew it up
    the same day!! One of many looking for more speed...<O</O

Sad News... Harold will be missed...<O</O

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers during these trying times.

Dinomite

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear. Sounds like he led an enjoyable life
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gods speed Harold. Prayers for Robin and Wally.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Met him at a ODBA race years back, I talked with him while we watched some racing, from what he told me in his younger days he worked props also. Only met him once, but he seemed to be a great guy. Gods speed Mr Harold.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My condolenses to Robin, Wally and Donald. I had the pleasure of meeting Harold a few times. God Speed to Harold.
    Respectfully, Ro Yale
    Ro Yale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raced against him in the late 60's and early 70's. Hell of a competitor. R.I.P. Harold.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met Harold a long time ago when I first started racing in Somerset Ky. He was running in the SJ class(150 inline class) with one of the first Stinson boats I'd ever seen. He had the entire front floor made into a big throttle plate. When I asked him why he said it was to keep him from letting up on the throttle in the turns cause he had to push down with both feet to hold him tight in the seat so he was holding the throttle down at the same time. Hell of a nice guy, very competetive and quite an innovator. Saw him again in Knoxville at the NOA races. He was a huge asset to the sport. Sorry to hear about his death and my condolences to his family.
    www.eagleoneperformance.com