Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with cables

I recently bought a 78 hawaiian with a 454/berk 12jc-a with place diverter and ALL the cables are frozen.It has sat for about 3 years under a cover and Im gonna try to free them up with som pb blaster but if that dont work I'm kinda confused about which type of cable to use for each application.

I need,

1. Steering cable
    2. Throttle cable
    3. Diverter cable

What is the cheapest route to go assuming I cant get them to budge?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are better off replacing all of them vs. trying to get them to free up....... I had one stick before on my shifter and I thought it was in reverse when it was really stuck in forward..... Hit the dock and smashed up the nose.... not good........Just take them off one at a time and label them so you know which one is which ...... Then go to your local dealer and get new ones, then they can give you the correct length and thread size ......There approx. a buck (100) each though.... Good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well,actually there was four cables-I forgot about the steering cable.I have all of them moving freely now except the steering cable and it has me stumped.It is completely under the gunwhale with no splits or cracks,yet the rack seems free and when you move the wheel back and forth you can feel and hear the cable trying to move all the way down to the zerk fitting by where it attatches to the drive.You can even see the cable bowing up to there but that steering rod doesn't even twitch.Cant see what would be hanging it up at that fitting that runs thru the drive unit.Am I not seeing something?Do you guys have any ideas?Hell,I even had my old lady hold pressure on the wheel whille I lightly rapped at the rod that attaches to the nozzle with no luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    change the cables, you will be glad you did, can get the complete steering kit for around 140 most places, i have seen many free up only to ruin your holiday weekend when they seize up again without warning. do your self a favor and replace the cable. the other jc cables should be type 43bc and will cost approx 100. each. the throttle cable is a 3300 series and is less expensive because of its size. it should be in the 30 dollar range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanks but it seems i cant get the steering cable out without moving the motor.I recently got laid off so fund are tight but the throttle is still kind of stiff so I WILL be replacing that one for sure.I guess if I removed the threaded metal sleeve the steering cable passes thru it might give me enough clearance to get it out but it still seems a waste cause the wheel moves like 10 to 2 oclock and you can hear the cable moving the whole length just where it has the zerk fitting it seems to be hanging up.Maybe some grease will help,I will barrow one tonight and see if that helps but if not who sells just the cable or would I have to buy a whole rack assembly?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cables

Yes the cable can be had seperately but there is very little difference in the total cost. once again im my opinion i would not change the cable by itself as they will sometimes take a wear pattern in the rack and helm. if you go to the trouble to chnge it i would make sure that i had to do it only one time , just my .02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea,thanks biga,unemployment keeps givin me **** so i cant buy a whole lot till it kicks in.Tired of this job market,I got good skills that pay but shops keep closin down on me.Gonna go to school and start my own ****,pell grants,stafford loans,and 100% equity in my house might get me there but I'm done with makin other people money.Gonna get my boat goin in the mean time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok gonna order new rack system but I have a couple questions

1.Is there anything to stay away from for high horse apps?Seems everyone carries the racktech universal steering,is this a good one?

2.my cable is stamped 17 ft. 6 in. but seems everything is available in 1 ft.increments,best to go half a foot longer or shorter?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the standard teleflex rack "the kit' will come complete with rack and helm and will generally give you what you need , less steering wheel. the kit comes in foot increments, easier to curl it than stretch it, go with the next loonger foot and you will be okay.