Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some help...17 Action Marine

I recently bout a 17 action marine hull and I've been ordering parts online. I'm going to be putting in a merc 200 2.5 on it.

Questions:

Will I be ok with a CMC manual 5 inch jack plate?

I also need some recommendations on a gas tank and dimensions?? (I will have merc oil tank back there as well)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well hello, welcome to the sight. I'm not real experienced with these boats, as I am still trying to get my 17 action (concept copy) set up. There are alot of guys on here that know alot about them, and will prob chime in. There are guys with both manual and hydraulic plates, both work but of course it'll be easier to adjust a hydraulic plate. Some guys set it and forget it, mine is hydraulic which is good because i'm still trying to learn to drive it and need all the adjustment I can get. As far as set up, most guys say the prop shaft should be level to 1.5" above the pad. 28-30 pitch / 14.5" chopper prop. Other than that I had a custom triangle shaped tank to go under the dash, (i've been told that it should be in the back, but then there's no back seat, if you need a tank I have the old aluminum one that came out of it. Its 18 gal its 24/17/10 or something close to that. No leaks. It might fit under the back deck, I'll have to check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8067.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that quick reply. Ill prob be on of those guys to set it and forget it lol. As far as the gas tank, I plan on putting it in the back since I'm going to have a bench.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have 2 bench seats, it I had put it in the back there wouldnt be any room for the back seat. When I got the boat it was in the front so I put it back there. I also didnt like that I wouldnt be able to get into the bilge with it in the way. Post some pics, they're always good. I've seen 25gal tanks put in the back. Be careful with the weight, there is a member on here that has the same boat as me and he had a 25 gal tank in the back, he was looking at the motor (Also a Merc.) and water started to come in the motor well and before he knew it, it was going down. Another reason I put it in the front. If you didnt know the formula to figure out gal, its L x W x H divided by 231, gives you the volume of the tank, so you get an idea of how big you need it to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8101.jpg   IMG_8102.jpg   IMG_8097.jpg  
    Last edited by Gorilla0178; 05-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that could be a problem specially with people in the back and a full tank. How much is it to get one of those custom tanks like yours?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on the welder, Mine was 10$ a gal, so 200$ for a 20gal tank, keep in mind It was a welder I've done buisness with for years, but that should be an idea. I mounted the first one way up in the bow, so high infact that the vent on the tank was the highest point, so fuel kept sloshing out into the vent tube. I had one made to fit on the floor right infront of my toe board, I havent had a prob with the vent (yet) so I hope its good. I'll go take pics, I need to anyways.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pics.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0038.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg   IMG_0040.jpg   IM001818.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnsource, if your boat is a 17 made by Action marine, you'll be fine with the tank and the seat in the back. Gorilla's boat is actually a 16 Action that was built by Concept and had the nose extended. The 16's are much narrower and have a lot less room under the deck in the rear than the bigger models. Hydraulic plates are nice but really once you find the sweet spot on a manual you don't really need to move it up or down. I haven't moved mine in years.

The guy who sank his boat is a friend of mine. He had a Concept/Action also with the tank in the back. He also had a hydraulic plate (weighs a ton) with the pump and resevoir in the back. He also had the merc trim motor and pump in the back of the boat along with 2 batteries. Just waay too much weight back there. You should be fine with a fuel tank in the rear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See I told you someone that knew alot about these boats would reply. I didnt realize the size difference between the boats, I Also didnt know about the batteries in the back and the pumps. I was just relaying the story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    Dnsource, if your boat is a 17 made by Action marine, you'll be fine with the tank and the seat in the back. Gorilla's boat is actually a 16 Action that was built by Concept and had the nose extended. The 16's are much narrower and have a lot less room under the deck in the rear than the bigger models. Hydraulic plates are nice but really once you find the sweet spot on a manual you don't really need to move it up or down. I haven't moved mine in years.

The guy who sank his boat is a friend of mine. He had a Concept/Action also with the tank in the back. He also had a hydraulic plate (weighs a ton) with the pump and resevoir in the back. He also had the merc trim motor and pump in the back of the boat along with 2 batteries. Just waay too much weight back there. You should be fine with a fuel tank in the rear.
    Would I be ok with a cmc 5" manual jack plate??

Also any recommended size tank for the rear?

Merritt Island,Fl. Sunshine Syndicate Country!!!!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the same boat as Gorilla0178. I ran a 5'' BOB's plate that we reversed and used it as a 2 1/2 manual like my cousin dave said once you find the happy spot dont touch it. My gas tank was also in the back 24 gal and i ran a 235 johnson no back seat but was able to stand in the back of the boat with out any probs. good luck and post some pictures for us avid action lovers!
    Bobby Pazos- Member Of The
    BULL-FROG EYES DRAG RACE TEAM
    Fellow-G-Man,
    Sunshine Syndicate

2006 23' Action Marine 300 HP V8
    2001 19' Action Marine White Power
    1998 23' Concept CC (sold)
    1999 17' Action Marine (sold)
    1996 STV River Rocket (sold)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnsource View Post
    Would I be ok with a cmc 5" manual jack plate??

Also any recommended size tank for the rear?
    I run a 6" manual plate on mine but mine's heavy and probably could use a little more setback. As for tanks, I'd probably go with the biggest tank I could fit back there up to around 25 gallons. Nothing worse than having to stop on the water and overpay for fuel that may or may not be the advertised octane rating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 16 action had the tank in the back with a backseat and was fine with 2 people sitting in the backseat!
    1988 reaction19-sold
    1978 action20 w/ 250 efi-sold
    2003 quartershot T4-sold
    1978 16 action with 15'' 2.4 -sold
    1979 mako21 w/ evinrude 150 faststrike-sold
    1995 18 ACTION COPY w/ CCMS HO2FO!-sold
    1981 24' manta w/ a v8

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank in the back

Boat sat low but like Dave says i had two deep cycle batteries,hydraulic pump and trim pump in the back.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There it is.....didnt know about all the other stuff in the back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast