Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to find a replacement worker.

I would love some input, as I have an issue on hand. I have been working with someone at the local marina last year on my Mini Hawk. He made the price of work real low because he said "if he gave me the tools and some advice, I could do most of it, therefore, he'd paint the boat for free." I WAS charged 700 dollars though by his assistant, which he fired, or all the things that were done (things he did himself, that were too dangerous for me).

We stopped work with all fiberglass work done because the weather got too cold. He promised that as soon as the weather warmed up, I could bring the boat down and he would do the paintwork for me. But this spring, just yesterday afternoon, he starts to tell me all these things (and from what I am thinking, he is trying to avoid working on it, when he'd rather take care of the customers who are paying full price for work first..then come back to me) that make me displeased, so I left the marina and talked to a bunch of people who all suggested I ask for someone else, who I can work out a deal with possibly, as I am only in high school.

At the moment, the Mini Hawk is sitting in my driveway all stripped and sanded on the deck and interior (not sure about the bottom) with the cover on. There are holes for pop up cleats and i have some rubrail sitting in the garage too. I even have a custom piece for the interior.

I would like to hopefully find a replacement worker on Long Island who would be nice enough to help me in that way, or else I will have to wait for the guy who i was working with to help me..and thats going to be memorial day by the latest I can start and thats too far!!

Any help?
    Last edited by DryMartini; 05-07-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im sure it seam overwhelming, but a young guy has to just dig in and get your hands dirty.The good news is there are hundreds of over qualified guys here to help you along. hell I painted my first boat with a brush and roller then buffed it and everyone wanted to know where i got it sprayed,second boat was with a pint bottle and a arisol sprayer. I came along way since those days but I had no internet or scream and fly to turn to.make a list of all the things you need to get done.then start asking questions. If it helps I won alot of money when my friends bet me I could not put a 80 merc on the back of my 13' cigarette and get it float let alone run all day long.there are some old post and pics if you want in small boats under 20' .
    THE BEST PART OF LIFE IS SPENT ON THE WATER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see where you are going with this, and i like that you took on the skill and worked on your boat yourself. I would be learning to paint boats if i wasnt still in high school, but if i can figure out how to get it done soon, i can finish everything else once its painted. did most of the fiberglass and bondo work myself, i just don't have the time at the moment.
    I do like the idea of compiling a list though!

Sorry if i sound desperate or all over the map, im just trying to figure out what's best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you Drive yet?
    Formula 260ss 496HO

Bender Clan Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get on your bike and hit up some local body shops, offer to sweep the floor, throw out the trash, whatever.
    Someone might take you up on the offer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried approaching a trade school (Paint and Body)? Alot of times they will take on projects for the cost of materials alone.

ASs far as the Guy that promised to paint the Boat for free. Can you really blame him for placing paying customers ahead of the line?

Good Luck!!!
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have an autos class or a body class in school donate it for a project?