Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't the engine run better(more power) without the intake being in a low pressure area??
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    I wonder if this could be the cause of the coil issues with these engines? Probably dry from engine heat by the time you get home and get the cowl off.
    The problem with the coils is poor soldering internally by an overseas vendor.
    Lee Sanderson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone see a problem here?

The way it looks to me from both videos....the negative pressure behind the cowling is pulling water up from the water dump after the poppet opens
    Last edited by HP; 04-27-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    HP(frequent flyer)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coil and coil harness issue has nothing to do with the water coming in. Which has been resolved on the newer motors. Heavier wire in harness and is also secured better over back of motor. The air box as mentioned is nothing more then a protective cover over the flywheel. Removing it would result in no performance loss or gain. It has NO filter for the compressor nor for the motor itself. Simply put- 4lbs of crap that could be thrown away.

Sniper- to answer your question, YES - WATER IS ABSOLUTELY GOING THROUGH YOUR INTAKE. All your fittings are green due to the salt.
    I would also venture to say your butterfly inside your throttle body is most likely green too as it is brass. Take a look.

Im not by any means trying to take anything away from the motor. It is a beast and in my opinion is by far the best motor they have ever made. But they have to come to terms with the fact that the cowling design is flawed. Good for the service side of the business, bad for the consumer. The intake design will get changed in due time. Mercury Racing watched this video MANY MANY times before I made the video " public". I can even tell you on which days they watched it. But for them to deny it is simply a way for them to save money. As someone mentioned already, they would have to pay out a claim to each and every owner of a 300xs. Big business is smart, they deny the claim and make a running change. At least it is out there for all to see now. If they really want to make us happy, put a 300xs on a 15" offshore mid with a nice looking functional cowl.
    Last edited by Adam McKeon; 04-27-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They were too busy redesigning the compressor that had nothing wrong with it.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video shows water traveling up the lower housing to the top cowl. This is accelerated by the fact that the boat has an aerodynamic cowling mounted to the boat in front of the motor which causes a low pressure area on the front side of the engine between the engine and the boat. This low pressure increases with the speed of the boat. You can clearly see this as the boat goes faster and faster. The faster the boat, the more water is sucked up into this low pressure zone until it has a significant water flow from the lower housing to the top cowling, like a sheet of water that is adhered to the surface of the motor flowing to the area of lowest pressure.

This low pressure zone helps suck-up water along the front and sides of the engine lower unit to the top cowling. Water that is hitting the lower housing at the water line just follows the low pressure area at the front of the motor up to the top cowling. Once the water is on the top cowling, it just follows the air flow into the inside of the cowling to the motor and electronics. Water is a fluid just like air and it will follow the path of least resistance.

Most motors are not mounted with an aerodynamic cowling mounted on the boat in front of the motor to cause this low pressure zone between the boat and the motor. I presume that this problem is caused more because of an installation issue than a motor cowling design issue.

The only way to keep the water off of the top cowl is to add some type of water deflector or water diverting shield or collar to the lower unit just below the bottom edge of the top cowl to keep the water from traveling upward onto the top cowling. If you had a several inch wide horizontal flange or collar around the lower section just below the top cowling, this would keep the water from traveling upward to the top cowling. What comes to mind are those large diameter collars that they put around the necks of dogs to keep them from scratching themselves when they have a sore. A collar around the "neck" area just below the top cowl may do the trick. It should not offer any wind resistance as long as its collar surface is horizontal and sticking out perpendicular to the surface of the engine all the way around the engine. The water will travel up the engine's lower unit, hit this collar, and flow along the bottom surface of the collar to the rear of the engine and blow off at the rear.

If Mercury admitted to a design problem, they would open themselves up for complaints, law suits, and their lawyers would be working overtime, and their engineers would have to try and design their engines to work in every conceivable boat installation, which is impossible to do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat deck cowl in front of the motor made it worse. NOT any better. The LP area is behind the cowl... surrounded above, below and beside are HP area's which is the reason water does not " fall " but float up and then vacuumed in like a shop vac. Faster I go, the HP increases, more motor water dumped out the back = more water sucked in. As I said, I know how and why it does it and how to fix it but I nor anyone else should not have to worry about water getting into their motor so easily.

Your presumption couldn't be further off. Aside from an outboard running completely underwater, It is conceivable and expected for a 2 stroke motor to work under all conditions including upside down.

A collar around the motor?? lol that would like nice...... Free collars for everyone with 300xs's . Can I get mine with spikes?
    Last edited by Adam McKeon; 04-27-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a wind tunnel...
    Maybe some airscoops on the side of
    the cowling would direct air around the backside and relieve the low
    pressure area....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just needs some holes in the front to let air in. Thats what I did
    Its amazing what we are learning with these cameras.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0005.jpg  

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they wont stand behind any of their junk ass fuel hoses either........hint hint.i know some one on here has seen the grey fuel lines lining coming apart causing fuel restriction!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit2 View Post
    they wont stand behind any of their junk ass fuel hoses either........hint hint.i know some one on here has seen the grey fuel lines lining coming apart causing fuel restriction!?
    I have so now you (kinda) know two.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3