Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first place they pointed blame was my "speed " and then my "hull type" . So i guess a Mercury RACING 300XS belongs on the back
    of a pontoon ( nothing against pontoons.. ) and not on a "speed" boat as it were implied.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At what speed does it start?
    I wonder if a V bottom that would have more vacuum low behind the transom would have less of this than a boat with air traveling under the hull (cat, tunnel, mod))
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could block off the rear opening, cut an opening in the front of the cowl and put a faceplate on the front like other Merc cowlings.

BTW, I've seen this same thing on other cowlings at the drag races. It's a low pressure area and can pull up water. Odd thing is some cowlings do it, some don't. I guess it depends on how much water is thrown up back there.

Another way to stop it would be to install some vertical curved slats on the rear corners of the cowling sticking out an inch or two. That would direct air to the rear of the cowling creating a higher pressure there.
    Last edited by CDave; 04-25-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boat fairing/cowling in front of the engine will cause this problem also. That is the reason that it is seen more often with drag boats.
    Lee Sanderson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    At what speed does it start?
    I wonder if a V bottom that would have more vacuum low behind the transom would have less of this than a boat with air traveling under the hull (cat, tunnel, mod))
    Not really, I had a horrible problem with my HST with the same issue. Two naca type ducts on the top front of the cowling solved the issue. The last place you want to pull air in from on a fast boat is the rear cowl area. On carbed motors you have to be very careful about pressurizing the cowl too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, we could go on and on about ways to fix the issue but the bottom line is IT SHOULD NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO INGEST WATER SO EASILY.
    I know why it does it, how it does it, and how to fix it. The scenario I conjured up could very much happen.

Lee, you know the boat TPS #1 is still at your shop. That was the first time it happened, 30 miles down the River from Jasper. Ruined
    my weekend and the trip to my parents house in VA. Thanks Mercury !! I get over things easily but for Merc to come back and say we dont have a defect in our product is horse $hit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
    Again, we could go on and on about ways to fix the issue but the bottom line is IT SHOULD NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO INGEST WATER SO EASILY.
    I know why it does it, how it does it, and how to fix it. The scenario I conjured up could very much happen.

Lee, you know the boat TPS #1 is still at your shop. That was the first time it happened, 30 miles down the River from Jasper. Ruined
    my weekend and the trip to my parents house in VA. Thanks Mercury !! I get over things easily but for Merc to come back and say we dont have a defect in our product is horse $hit.
    Adam
    I remember the day this happened you had to limp back to the ramp and missed a beautiful trip.

1995 STV RR 150 hp Super Mag
    1978 16' Allison 90 hp Yamaha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    understandable frustration.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I better pay attention to this. Wonder if my wingplate makes it better or worse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have seen this only on several mirages and stvs and my thoughts are the center section of the boat creates it some how in conbination with that cowl and the allien i dont seem to have the issue so i didnt dig into it
    i think if you take a ribbion and tape it on the side of the center section make sure it can reach a foot or so pass the motor then hit it with a leaf blower or air blower it will wrap right around the back of the cowling
    i think it would be cool if we could wind tunnel a few of these just to see what it really is and why

i know im curious to see

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as they admit to there being a design flaw you and everyone else with this motor will have a leg to stand on in court and they could end up having to pay for a recall. I worked for Mitsubishi dealers for 8 years and on a particular engine we were seeeing headgasket oil leaks in as little as 12,000 miles. I must have done 100 of those gaskets but the manufacturer never admitted to any defect. It sucks but that's the way big business works.

John
    I was going so slow I almost crashed. - JamesGang

1978 24 Superboat - 250 EFI
    Sold: 1991 Starliner - 250 EFI Merc 3.0

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    That is a typical response from Mercury. The ol' "There is not a problem even though there is, and no we will not work with you to fix it because there is not a problem." At least with BRP there is some intelligence on the end of the phone line.
    You beat me to it
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
    Don't know what to tell ya short of getting lawyers involved. This isn't the first company to operate this way. My Sony flat screen had problems with the "light engine" and turns out it was caused by a poorly designed cooling/filter system by Sony. So getting the TV repaired wouldn't fix the problem and would just happen again. I know some people got together and started a class action law suit and won. Mine went bad about a year after all this happened and found I was basically up the creek without a paddle unless I got lawyers involved. So I got a new flat screen and it wasn't a Sony and I will never buy anything Sony again.

Wish I could tell ya how to get Merc to do something but I'm no lawyer. I guess you could visit every boating forum you can find and maybe Merc will catch wind and do something to help ya out. I don't know.
    Last edited by CDave; 04-26-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hats off to Mercury, they have figured out how to make them run on water!!!

This could explain why I have a studder above 5800 rpms at times, with my 2010 300xs with 20 hours on it. It definitely explains why the engine is wet under the cowling. And it also explains why the brass fitting at the bottom rear of the engine is already green after about 2 hours of brackish water use. With the velocity the water is entering , water has to be getting sucked into the intake. I wonder if there is enough room to mount a camera with a light , looking at top of intake? There would probably be enough room if the stock airbox is removed, although this may change air vacuum somewhat.... Anyone want to try ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this could be the cause of the coil issues with these engines? Probably dry from engine heat by the time you get home and get the cowl off.
    Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 04-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast