User Tag List

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MURPH

THANKS for the update Chis...I like the 200 on the boat...it looks right too

YES...Bring back the Kawartha Run...that would be cool. Anyway...shoot me an email so I can keep you advised of some smaller happenings. I still host my annual event on Rice Lake in the Fall and Sean G still has his get-toghetr in May...it would be cool to have you out in May to that on hios small lake.

Good to rehook up with ya...like I said shoot me an E so I can keep you in the loop

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

murph

Red line for these motors is 5250
    I was told this year that those motas want to run 5500. Im running the same motor on an old fat B*tch and im turning 5500 too.

Have you had many problems with yours?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine in 1990 (although it is a 1991) and I only had a 26 Laser available (still have it today for skiing). With that prop it is easy to push 6000+, but lack of good top speed. Then I started talking with some Merc Reps and they said that they were having troubles with the crank breaking just below the flywheel and problems with the top cylinder, they advised me to be real careful. At this point I had been running two years with the Laser. Before the third season (not having any troubles) I decided to check the compression of the cylinders. I found that the bottom cylinder was down 10 pounds. So apart the block came. I found that a little piece of the ring had broken off just where it closes together. It caused one medium score down the cylinder. I homed out the bottom cylinder and replaced the piston and ring. When I was putting the carbs back on (they are all joined together as one unit) I then noticed that the bottom carb was not fully opening so the cylinder had been running lean all this time. I then noticed that the oil injection was really only running at 50:1 the whole time which probably was a blessing. I reset the carbs and oil injection and in the end was still missing about 3 or 4 pounds. The settings were off from the factory. I took the motor away from the dealer myself so it is possible that a PDI done by a dealer might of found this but I’m sure if it started up fine they might not of checked either. Since then I have had 10 hassle free years (13 altogether) and that’s with a chopper take off that comes near 6000 every time and a lot of punishment to boot. No punishment, no fun!!! At about year 6 years I replaced the mounts. Then just before this summer I did the mounts again and had to replace the bottom yoke that holds the mounts cause it had gotten quite sloppy. Besides that every couple of years I do the gas filter and plugs and were good to go. I have no complaints and am very impressed with how it has held up considering what I do with it. I really don’t believe that going over the 5250 hurts, but then again I always figured that it was maybe because I am only pushing a 700lb or so boat. Where did you hear about that fact it is ok to run at 5500? I am hoping by maybe next year I want to get the new three cylinder 115 Optimax, a low water pickup and a 4” power lift jack. The 70+mph will be a snap.

Where it all started!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just a local marina that told me 5500 was right for this engine.
    well again Mine is not on a performance application but I used to run a 21pitch at something like 5200 with a top speed of 44mph and we had BIG problems. I cant remember exactly cause I was so young but I believe we actually cracked the block ( I think Mercury paid for parts cause they admitted it was a bad model lol) My local marina mechanic (ex mod vp'er) refused to sell it because he thought it was a terrible design. Since I reproped the boat with a 19 pitch runnin 5500 and still maintainin 44mph there has been no problems.
    My only dislike of the motor is that stupid 2-4 cyl mechanisim. It sucks for skiing. I dont really notice it when there is no load in the boat though.
    ps is that the origional popular mechanics mighty mouse?? those are so kool. I still have the origional plans lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard great things about the motor but as I said I have had good luck and it certainly has been used. I think the load has a lot to do with it. I have never ever noticed the 2+2 system and have only reaped the benefits of it (nice and quite and good on gas). The little boat is a MiniMaxed by Glen-L designs. It was a hand me down from my older brother and I got a new 1972 7.5 for it. I was 12 then and saved a $100 and my father put up $300 to by it (that was with tax). I found the plans on the net and here is a picture of it.

Anthony I read a post about how some of you guys were looking for the TNT plans. You can still get them here.

Click here to see TNT Plans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you Ontario people want to copy my TnT plans, no problem. If someone can print them, I wouldnt mind a set myself, just incase

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those days are in the Past

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats an awsome pic. What prop were you spinning and what kinda speeds were ya getting?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a long time ago but if I remember correctly it was a 19" 3 blade alum. Speed somewhere in the 45mph. If you look, what I did was to add a vee to the bottom to make it a 20" trans and them added the 65hp.

Theres more pic in my gallery. just do a search for TNT.

Enjoy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool boats you all have, mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what that.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking doh

he he
    S.F.F.L

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am near port perry this is one of my old boats i am looking for a boat right now .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat gif.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MURPH...what is the story on the red minimax??

Here is mine that is looking a little better then this pic...me and the son are restoring. Everything is good other then the MotorBored we just replaced.

I Now have TNT plans and I have a means for copying large boat plans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini_deck_small.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's from the Glen-L site.

From this page hit return at the bottom and then at the bottom of the next page you can click on Outboard Index and see all kinds of boats. Really Kool.
    Last edited by Murph; 11-03-2003 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HeY im from six mile lake ontaio and own delta with a 75 omc on it . i have been running the lake for a few years now and am intrersted in racing

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast