Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1992 3.4 mercury racing outboard info

I have a 1992 Mercury 3.4 liter racing outboard with six carburetors , low water pickup lower unit standard rotation freshly rebuilt can i convert it to efi and what other performance work can I do to this engine and still keep some dependability

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Scream and Fly.

Mercury did not build a "racing" 3.4 with carbs. There were the production engines in several variations and then some high performance variants that had EFI. The true race 3.4 was called a T4 and was on a 12" mid section with a racing gearcase with no neutral or reverse called a 8speedmaster. There was also an offshore version that was EFI also but it was very simialr to to the production unit except for cowl and some minor powerhead upgrades that did not make much difference in the perfromance.

You will waste your time and money trying to hotrod a carb 3.4. They do not like RPM and the parts are hard to find. The 3.4 is best suited for a heavy load like a center console fishing boat and people whohaave tried to make race engines from them usually end up with a pile of broken parts.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can take some pics of the cowlings and engine parts I am still rebuilding the outboard was looking for some info to maybe help me in putting together a faster outboard if it was worth it