0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allison XB-2002 pics and pre-run service list

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	230235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally3.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	230234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally1.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	230233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally5.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	230232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	230235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally3.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	230234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally1.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	230233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally5.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	230232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ally4.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	230231
    Last edited by TeezXB; 03-25-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: duplicate pic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced:

Water pump
    Spark plugs
    Fuel pump diaphragm
    Batteries (2)

Cleaned out fuel cell, replaced all rubber fuel lines, fuel injection service (b4 plug replacement), replaced gear oil, replaced large washer on prop (old one was flat and laying against prop instead of fitting inside it).

A couple 3-way fuel valves needed for the 2.4L bridgeport powerhead return lines were removed since it now has a 2.0L powerhead
    A gob of old wiring that was used for God-knows-what was removed.
    Other return lines were capped off with bolts jammed in to stop the flow and secured with zip ties GEEZ! Removed that bomb waiting to explode.
    Greased steering cable/rod system
    Replaced a fried motor trim button.

Next will be my hand on some 1000grit sand paper removing oxidation and giving it a nice wax, replacing some of the compartment locks, the bow roller is too small to even touch the bow.
    I might be able to bring the carpet back to life by using a wire brush, otherwise I'll get the carpet set from Allison.

That's about it for now, if you have any ideas on other things that should be checked or info on locating OE Allison parts don't hesitate to post, and thanks for reading.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry some ballast with you, you'll need it. How much setback? There is a company that makes a foam pad to use instead of carpet. I think that is what I'm going to put in my 02.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like an idiot, what's a ballast? You mean extra weight to balance out the left side? Setback? You mean height with the pad? I'm gonna try a wire brush on the carpet-trick to see if I can ressurect some pile. I'll be using the OE Allison carpeting if the old stuff starts shredding. Thanks for the post. Taking her out tomorrow to Lake Tarpon, gonna need the open space, the motor has no problem beyond 8k rpm, gonna be a blast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TeezXB View Post
    I feel like an idiot, what's a ballast? You mean extra weight to balance out the left side? Setback? You mean height with the pad? I'm gonna try a wire brush on the carpet-trick to see if I can ressurect some pile. I'll be using the OE Allison carpeting if the old stuff starts shredding. Thanks for the post. Taking her out tomorrow to Lake Tarpon, gonna need the open space, the motor has no problem beyond 8k rpm, gonna be a blast.
    Yes weight to balance the boat so it will stay level on the pad . I carry a spare starter wrapped in bubble wrap , (why not carry something you might need ! )plated steel chain .. small bundled and wrapped in bubble wrap , my spare prop ,Lead dive belt wrapped, tools , spares , anchor and my cooler on the port side to help a level flight situation . Thought about having a small reverse spoiler added to the starboard side bottom to counteract the balance thing but probably will continue to carry things portside . Welcome to Allison Land !

BTW Careful on Lake Tarpon on a Sunday ....the wakeboard boat wakes travel across the lake undetected until you are right up on them ..that 2002 at 8000 rpm will be stttrrrolllllin !!
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pressure wash the carpet, if it's not dry rotted it will fluff up and look near new.
    Lee Sanderson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeezXB View Post
    Yea, ballast is a fancy name for weight. Set back is the distance the jack plate "sets" the engine back from the transom.

Good looking boat. I like the blue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, with a GPS, 70 was good enough for me with good 2k rpm left in it. Two-foot waves added to the learning curve. I'm starting to figure out how to trim it right, once it's trimmed up with pedal to the metal it goes like a rocket. Defintely won't go anywhere if the motor is left in the trimmed up position when starting out, just stands up like a stick in the water, yes, I'm a newbie. Gotta learn somehow, no instructions with it, lol.

If you're talking how much space between the back of the boat and the actual lower unit, being the bracket width, then 8 inches.

I spent the whole 19 gallons on 8 runs across the lake, what a gas monster!

I was moving ballast all day until i just put it all on my side due to my heavyweight first mate on the left, after that we were good to go.

The scary part is when at about 70 its starts rocking side to side really bad, so I must be doing something wrong or the 20 mph headwind was lifting it.

Awesome maiden voyage for sure, it's definitely got me hooked, I just need to find a large lake that's as calm as glass, next time. I'm too worn out to post pics, maybe tomorrow, thanks for the posts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by props4u2 View Post
    Pressure wash the carpet, if it's not dry rotted it will fluff up and look near new.
    The wire brush made it all fluffy again, alot less work that hauling out the pressure washer. Not needing carpet is a bonus!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foley View Post
    Thought about having a small reverse spoiler added to the starboard side bottom to counteract the balance thing but probably will continue to carry things portside
    I was thinking about that same thing. A giant-sized one would definitely keep the bow down, heh.

Here's a good question:

Is the steering supposed to be hard as hell to turn after its been thoroughly greased? The Hot Shot gas pedal needs the force of holding down the clutch in a mustang cobra, charley-horse in my foot a couple times from holding that one down.
    Last edited by TeezXB; 03-27-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you used 19 gallons on 8 passes that is either some really long passes or u have a major fuel leak....19 gallons will last me a weekend w/ my 02 and thats cruising and haulin butt. just make sure when you let out of it u do it slow so you dont drop the nose and do the dreaded hooking turn...around 70 is when they usually starts "chine walking" (the rocking side to side) as the left side comes up just cut into to it same w/ right side. Just take it slow and try not to make sudden movents w/ the wheel or throttle...u should be good

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the nose drops from extreme deceleration it has zero pull in any direction and is also like turning a trucks' steering wheel with the engine off. It's serious workout to steer at any speed even after a complete regrease of the cable housings and stainless linkage. I'm guessing the chine-walking is caused from not being completely on the pad alone and prop versus still having some of the front hull still in the water hitting waves? Kind of harrowing when I'm clipping 70mph. I need a closer look at the steering system, it sure seems to be binding at times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the cables are bad/stiff, you'll never be able to drive the boat on the pad. Undo them from the motor. If it still steers hard, it is one or both of the cables. While you have them loose, make sure the motor is free. You should be able to push it with a finger.

Couple options. I've seen people make a greasing fitting that goes over the steering rod to force grease in the cable. Greasing the end won't do much. Replace the cables. Or install a hydraulic steering system.

You didn't mention if you greased all the points on the motor (swivel and tilt brackets). I assume you have done this also.
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 03-31-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foley View Post

I carry a spare starter wrapped in bubble wrap , (why not carry something you might need ! )

BTW Careful on Lake Tarpon on a Sunday ....the wakeboard boat wakes travel across the lake undetected until you are right up on them ..that 2002 at 8000 rpm will be stttrrrolllllin !!
    come on foley, a starter? Whats wrong with some shoe laces to pull start it I'm missing my shoelaces cause we killed the battery (and the cooler) on the pontoon boat at 2am

Good luck on the new ally! Hope to see you on tarpon soon!
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something else I would do.... If when you remove the cables and the steering is fine or you replace the cables BE SURE to clean the tube that the starboard side cable goes through real good and re-grease it before putting in the cable. Sometimes that grease gets really sticky after some time and makes steering much more difficult.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast