Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to find the exhaust only of 40+rwhp gain and the tune/intake vid of the 80+rwhp gain on these. I haven't looked too much into it due to I want to retain a bit of warranty on mine. Although the thought of 40 rwhp gains from the exhaust is inviting
    -Dustin
    17' Action Marine - Merc power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exhaust won't F with your warrenty, one of our line techs took his exhaust off of his '10 5.4 and put it on his ecobooossst.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured if it had a lean/rich condition caused by whatever and they saw aftermarket pipes on there they'd say no way. I know that's how VW/Audi would anyway. They aren't wrench friendly companies.

So in that case, I'll be ordering the Heart Throb exhaust here REALLY soon!
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For whatever reason I can't get this to play on my computer right now but I know the vid is good.

-Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think its awesome that they are messing with these boosted motors, it is the only replacement for displacement and the DFI can push the envelope as far as detonation resistance.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarterHorse View Post
    ... Although the thought of 40 rwhp gains from the exhaust is inviting
    I always thought those dyno curves looked suspect, especially since the stock muffler is straight-through. Recently, someone with a tuned Ecoboost truck made a pass at the truck, totally removed the stock cat-back, then made another pass. It picked up zero at the track. If it picks up nothing with no exhaust, then I wouldn't expect any exhaust system to make more power.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the E85, one of the tuning companies (JMS) is claiming that they are running out of fuel pump at 60 rwhp over stock. So, 365 hp + 70 (fwhp) is about 435 hp. Adding E85 will reduce that to a limit of about 305 hp, again, limited by the factory high pressure fuel pump. E85 is great for running a lot of boost, but it takes a massive fuel system.

Oh, and my truck has run stoichiometric A/F ratio at idle and cruise since day one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I always thought those dyno curves looked suspect, especially since the stock muffler is straight-through. Recently, someone with a tuned Ecoboost truck made a pass at the truck, totally removed the stock cat-back, then made another pass. It picked up zero at the track. If it picks up nothing with no exhaust, then I wouldn't expect any exhaust system to make more power.
    Towing and drag racing are completely different things, and the dyno numbers don't show much more at peak rather than mid range. I'm not racing this truck, I'm racing my Mustang or my Hydrostream.

As far as making more power at the track, there are so many variables as far as what goes into an ET. If you showed me a complete time slip of those passes that would give me something to think about rather than just an ET. MPH shows HP at the track vs ET FWIW. 60ft times and other short times give good indication on why the ET is the way it is when checking against MPH
    Last edited by QuarterHorse; 06-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't go by quarter mile times, for exactly the reason you stated. His mph did not change beyond typical pass-to-pass deviation when removing the entire exhaust.

Found it. . .
    13.98/96.44 mph with the stock exhaust
    13.99/96.28 mph with no exhaust

This is a 4x4 supercrew with a 91 octane tune.

He claims to have made 10 passes each, and those were the best times.
    Last edited by engineermike; 06-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird I suppose. It's still an odd thing (exhaust) when you break it down. I can remember guys telling me when I had a mostly track car to ditch my X pipe on a 306 and run straight headers and bolt on tubes that ran out passed the collectors. Run the car, and where they changed color, cut off the length and that's where you should run it for best ET. I think it's funny as the X junction made more power on the dyno and for me ran better at the track, but for some reason the "open exhaust" was the way to go.

Not quite the same, but perhaps with larger after cat pipes but "some" pipe there to create shape and maybe scavenge exhaust out from the motor the cat back works better for power on these trucks.

I don't know, just speculating, I'm not an automotive engineer nor pretend to be one haha.
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Run the car, and where they changed color, cut off the length and that's where you should run it for best ET. ...
    That's hilarious! I live across the nation from you, yet I heard that exact same wives tale.. . and that was before the Interweb so it had to go the old fashion way - word of mouth. I even believed it, at the time. I later realized that the EGT and it's relationship to the coating oxidation temperature had basically nothing to do with the optimum backpressure or pulse-tuning of the exhaust system.

A long time ago, I ran a 355 in a 3rd gen F-body. I was running a single 3" Flowmaster 2-chamber past the axle. It made 310 rwhp. I later dropped the exhaust but left the y-pipe in place. It made 345 rwhp. It was too loud, so I built a setup with a straight-through muffler before the axle and it made 350 rwhp. Track results backed it up, too. It just goes to show that less exhaust piping isn't always better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good read thanks guys was thinking about ditching my 6.0 and going eco boost myself
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The turbo itself is an exhaust restriction, its called drive pressure the turbo uses it to make boost it changes everything. You cant compare it to putting headers on a 350 chevy.

bender- stud a 6.4, they run high 12s with exhaust intake and tune and the trans is awesome.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6.4's are pretty sick with the DPF/EGR Deletes. I was looking at going that route, but honestly I don't use a truck like that ever. My Ecoboost can pull 11,000lbs if need. I'll never need that in my near future. I don't have the maintenance cost in expenisve/lots of oil and fuel filters all the time. This truck does everything I need it to. In fact My 1700 mile trip I had this weekend going from central Iowa to Denver area (Pikes Peak etc...) I averaged 18.2mpg on that trip running 80+ on the interstates and hauling myself + 4 adults. I ran a stint at 65-70 and my average was around 23-25 mpg at that point. These trucks rock.

If you don't need diesel towing capability, this is the truck you need IMO.
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I ran a stint at 65-70 and my average was around 23-25 mpg at that point. ..
    Yup. I just made a 2400 mile trip with 6 people plus luggage in mine. 23.7 mpg average, burning 87 octane E10. It was about 80% interstate running 70-75.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast