Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also just got a 1987YT V-king and have a very similar set up. Im not sure but sounds like ur a little water loggeed. My hull is all original and looks good but im sure that after 20 plus years the core should be redone. But even with the old core and all the interior the boat runs mid 80s and over 6000 with the nose up with anything from a 26 chopper to a 30 clever. Still havent got the best prop for top speed but these guys are pionting me in the right direction. I run a CLE with 6inch of setback and a stock 2.5 200. Ive been told that the Mazco RE3 or a SRX prop is the way to go but have not run one yet.That is a sweet looking boat and looks clean with the white seats. I would hate to rip up the floor in mine and check the core but if ur not getting out of the 60s I dont think you have a choice. I have seen one run over 80 with a old yamaha 150 that looked stock and had two 4inch holes cut in the side of the mid to make it loud. Crazy looking when ur next to it and you can see straight thru the side of the mid to the other. How many people r u ridng with in the boat? I thought I had issues cuz I couldnt run over 90 but 60s... that just sucks! even my water logged velaro v bottom would run 80s. with a carb 2.4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a list of the hot boat meets in Michigan. I am thinking that may be a really good way to test a couple of props and get a lot of good set up info and have a good time at the same time. I know Pyro had one of these motors and may have some good tuning and set up suggestions on them and I think he frequents the events.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2011 Michigan Hot Boats Schedule
    May 21 Wamplers
    June 4 Gaylord ( Otsego Lake)
    June 18 Lake Charlevoix
    July 9 Oscoda Foote Pond
    July 23 Gun Lake
    August 6 Holloway Reservoir Flint
    August 20 Brower Park Hardy Dam
    Sept 10 Oscoda Foote Pond
    Sept 24 Secord Lake Gladwin
    Oct 8 Wamplers

Get in touch with me sometime and I'll help you out with the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Capt Insane-O I am definitely going to try and make some of those dates. And I will look you up for some advice on the set up once the weather breaks. I am in the process of hooking the navigation lights and bilge pump back up (which for some reason were never hooked up) and installing a stereo and a couple of additional gauges in the boat now (surprised it never had a stereo installed in it over the years). Then I want to detail it and get a cockpit cover made for it. From there I just plan to work on set up and figure out why it is running so slow and hopefully getting it to somewhere in the 80's. This boat was fairly cheap so it was just something to tie me over until I can find a nice Mirage or Euroski someday hopefully. I had a deal almost worked out on a 96 Euro and then it fell through at the last minute.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're fooling yourself if you think it's something other than a soggy core, it's flexing at speed and it won't go over 70 no matter what you do.... unless you re-do the core. I'm going though the same thing mine now needs a core, it ran 71 with a tired old gt150 and 71 with a real strong 2.4 200, doesn't matter whether I'm turning a 25p thru hub or a 28 chopper. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd bet my house that it needs a core. If you like the boat, it's worth doing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rdkvector View Post
    You're fooling yourself if you think it's something other than a soggy core, it's flexing at speed and it won't go over 70 no matter what you do.... unless you re-do the core. I'm going though the same thing mine now needs a core, it ran 71 with a tired old gt150 and 71 with a real strong 2.4 200, doesn't matter whether I'm turning a 25p thru hub or a 28 chopper. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd bet my house that it needs a core. If you like the boat, it's worth doing.

if you dont want your(and anyone else that might go in the boat with ya) life to have a dramatic, very BAD change for the worse, please see if capt insaneo or someone else that knows these boats would check the hull's core for you BEFORE you try for a speed record.....

believe me, although i am lucky and alive, having had the bottom blow out from rotten core(AKA- boats structure) is definately one of the most violent, crazyest things ive had happen in my life-- and ive hit the pavement at well over 125mph racing motorcycles... i was only going around 60mph and the g-forces when it hooked and "caught" a bunch of water was unreal! thank God no one was in the boat with me when it happened!!
    the 1st thing id check, even if the engine winds up being strong and running right, is to have someone that knows make sure the hull is solid before running it again.. sorry, but they are awesome boats when properly restored(balsa replaced, not cosmetic bs)..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to jack ya thread but I have to say that after seeing this post I will be ripping up the floor in my Yt V king and replacing any and all damage. I will guarantee that even though my boat looks solid and runs good that it has issues goin on under the floor. I wasn't goin to worry about it this year but after seeing this post I can't stop thinking about it. DB I hope you enjoy your boat but be careful bro. If it is water logged it's an accident waiting to happen. When I start my repair I will start a new thread and learn to post pictures so we can all see what it looks like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1884 V-King YT with a 200 hp Merc black max. The engine was stock. I did install solid lower mounts. I had a CMC hydraulic jack plate, a Land and Sea foot throttle, and a Bob's Machine Shop nose cone on the boat. I had (and still have if you want it) a 29" Double cupped Spinelli blueprinted prop on that boat. It ran 92 with me in it alone. 88 with a passenger. Outdriving the chine walk was not for the faint of heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2