Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seeking advice on jet systems

Seeking advice on how to set up a jet system. i have just purchased an ex professional mullet fishing boat its a carvel hull at 21 feet long and 1.9 wide. It use to be powered by 4 very large oars which weigh a ton and now seeking some more conventional power source. I would like to put a v8 in it but have very little experience in jet systems,cooling etc. my old boss had several boats with v8, 250 ford motors, 186 and 202 holden and even a 2 cylinder fiat in a12 foot tinny but cannot get in touch with him to get some advice. The boat is very good sea boat and i would appreciate any advice on what would be the best set up. Thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boat was not originally built as a jet boat, save your money and don't try to put a jet in it. Lot of money and lot of work for a rresult that will probably be very disapointing.
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boat was not originally built as a jet boat, save your money and don't try to put a jet in it. Lot of money and lot of work for a final result that will probably be very disapointing.
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the boat was not built for a jet system but have been in several boats both carvel hull and sharpy hull that were not set up for jets and they went fine. I do agee that it would be much easier if the boat was set up for a jet. The carvel hull boat i have is a very good sea boat and thats where i will be using it most of the time for fishing skiing rec fun. if anyone has set up a jet system in a carvel hull or has any advice it wolud be much appreciated. Thanks for your reply duane i knew it would be a challenge when i first started but a good one when finished. i scanned the net for sites about jet systems and came across Screamandfly and thought if i cant get any advice from here im in trouble. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey seems it was a waste of time asking for advice it seems just because u havent got the right boat for a jet system no one has got the balls to give 2 cents worth im not a racer or in the now when it comes to jets but u would think that one of u could help a bloke that lives a little bit outside of the box.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked for help, you got it. Take the advise and run. A lot of us have been outside the box. We've spent the time and money and know what we are talking about. I've been involved in many of these projects over the years and know the outcome. That's why I gave the advise I did. If you are one who will spend three times the money just to prove someone wrong; give ma a call, I'll sell you all the parts you might want to taclkle this project. Good Luck. Sure, it CAN be done. Is it worth the extra time and money to do it?
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Seeking advice on how to set up a jet system. i have just purchased an ex professional mullet fishing boat its a carvel hull at 21 feet long and 1.9 wide. It use to be powered by 4 very large oars which weigh a ton and now seeking some more conventional power source. I would like to put a v8 in it but have very little experience in jet systems,cooling etc. my old boss had several boats with v8, 250 ford motors, 186 and 202 holden and even a 2 cylinder fiat in a12 foot tinny but cannot get in touch with him to get some advice. The boat is very good sea boat and i would appreciate any advice on what would be the best set up. Thank you.
    Most of us here are not familiar with what you are describing. Maybe if you start over it will make more sense to some of us. Is the boat really 21 feet long and less than 2 feet wide? I have never heard of a "Carvel" hull, so that doesn't help me. Most here also have no idea what a "mullet fishing boat" would look like, I sure don't.

Is there a reason that you want this to be a Jet boat? Are the necessary parts available to you at no cost....or little cost? How heavy is the hull you are planning to use? What type of hull is it? How fast do you expect to go? Can you post some pictures of the hull?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSleekOlds View Post
    Most of us here are not familiar with what you are describing. Maybe if you start over it will make more sense to some of us. Is the boat really 21 feet long and less than 2 feet wide? I have never heard of a "Carvel" hull, so that doesn't help me. Most here also have no idea what a "mullet fishing boat" would look like, I sure don't.

Is there a reason that you want this to be a Jet boat? Are the necessary parts available to you at no cost....or little cost? How heavy is the hull you are planning to use? What type of hull is it? How fast do you expect to go? Can you post some pictures of the hull?
    judging by his location (Queensland) Australia? im thinking the width of his boat is 1.9 meters or about 6 1/4 feet .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds right. I Goodled Carvel hulls and that is about what they looked like. The ones I saw were not suitable to jet applications at all.

Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your going to listen to anyone you need to listen to Duane, I have never known him to give advice unless he knows EXACTLY what hes talking about,He aint gonna blow smoke up your ass and hes not all about whats good for him.But if your just looking for something to do to kill time and spend money and have a learning experience go for it(Not tryin to be a smartass, know thats how it sounds, but im not)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read through all the posts and if you are from the land of Ozz, why don't you contact Hamilton Jet or Scott Jet's in NZ and get there take on your build. It looks like you just want a boat that you can cruise around with, pull a skier etc. They will probably give you the same advice as Duane and recommend a much more suitable hull for your project.

Look for a Javelin hull, shallow draft, purpose build for Hamilton Jet 751, 752 or 753 Series Jets depending on your application.

Believe it or not, but jet boating originated in NZ with the first commercial jet units produced by Sir Hamilton in Christchurch NZ.

Wikus.