Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the one... I have a garage full of compounds and nothing has given the shine and ease that this did.. I was always a 3m guy but their compounds are aggressive and Finesse isn't strong enough on a black boat faded out like this one was....Try it and post it....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the boat is done and rigged and still shinning...hope others have tried Mcquires 85 for rubbing out their boats instead of wet sanding.. will post pics this weekend coming from the lake...now I just need help propping it...took it out today and a stock 23 Mer prop doesn't cut it...I had the motor trimmed so far out it looked like a jet boat going down the river....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said California the sun always shines...this memorial weekend looks to be a cold one...I still will be taking this boat out... I had so many compliments last Sunday on it's maiden voyage.. I will get the upholstory done this winter as I don't want to be without the boat..hard to imagine that this boat sat out it's whole life uncovered...This was a custom boat from Lavey with factory bezels etc...Everybody that saw it at the dock said that it stood out given the color schemes.. I will shoot shots of it in the water and on the trailer for all to see..Black sure doesn't forgive you in regards to showing everything spec of dirt...this boat belongs in the hands of an anal boater that can wipe it down before, during and after use... I am getting too lazy in my old age(58 today!!!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really looking forward to seeing pics of how it is holding up, I take you haven't left it outside since the polish?

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sitting in outside storage under an awning..The only boat I have in covered is my 19ft Daytona that I am stalling on selling...While the Lavey will be fast, it won't touch the EFI Bridgeport on the Daytona...the wife is asking when I am listing it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to try this product thanks for all the follow up also. Its the follow up the is the great thing about this thread with products like that!! The only part of my hull that NEEDS it is the black wind screen. Though I can wax it and it looks great the shine only last a couple of days!! The black is oxidized. Ill try this on there and remeber this thread to report back also. If I find it simple enough my black expadition could use a good buff also. Thanks again for reporting about this new product. Got a recent pic? Its been 4 months now that is pretty long for the shine to hold on the deck. Also is the deck Gel or Paint? Will it work on gel?
    Last edited by whipper; 05-27-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, as promised I said I would post after Memorial Day...Well we were basicly rained out with horrible weather...I never got the boat out so will have to wait since this next weekend it is supposed to rain...If we are not in a drought in Nor California we now have winter that won't go away..This is so unusual but it's mother nature...Do not use this product on clear coat...you will burn through the thin coat of clear..This is made for Gel coat which all boats are made of unless someone painted your boat.. I have had boats painted with clear but it always starts to peal...Gel coat is forgiving as you could not have buffed back the black had it been cleared...This is the most aggressive McQuire's makes and I used my brand new Makita buffer to get it done... I finished it with my cyclo orbital but really wasn't necessary... I will shoot some pics this weeked anyway and post.. I wanted to shoot pics in the water given the color scheme...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info on the Meguiar's. I used 3M Imperial on my boat a couple of years back and it was amazing too. It's a step above the other 3M stuff. It has a swirl preventer in it and worked great with an electric buffer. Boat looked like a beater when I started and it brought it back up to almost new with no swirls. My dash and part of my top deck are black so I can appreciate what you're dealing with.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3m product is a good one.. I used to use their aggressive compound that feel like sand is mixed in on my boats...While it brought them back, you would have to use other 3m products to get the scratches out. I was going to wet sand in three stages and the guy at the paint store said why waste so much time and energy as he has used the 85#....Sure glad I listened as really just this product and a quick wax did the job..The dash is really tough with the gauges installed to buff out so that will be next winter as I don;t have a lot of spare time given my job and comute plus the number of boats I am trying to keep going...We have rain forecasted for this weekend again so hope to get out soon and shoot some more pics...I almost past on the boat given the horrible condition it was in..hard to believe that it sat outside unprotected...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a California update...We have had rain all weekend in Nor Cal including today...This coming weekend should be getting nicer so I will take the pics promised....We should be in the 90's from here on out but that doesn't seem to be the case....stay tuned........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say it works great on black. Anybody use it on white or blue? Have a mostly white with blue ally would like to look awesomer for a rally. Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by jimbob8; 06-13-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.... I took out the Daytona with the Bridgeport this last weekend so the Lavey played second fiddle... Going to take the Daytona out to Camp Far West on Saturday to play with the big boys with their blown alcohol v-drives and everything in between .. I only have 240h.p but it's two stroke power so I will eat the jet boat guys for lunch...Check it out next week on you tube as there are always people filming... On Sunday I will be out with the Lavey on Sunday and post a number of pics to show the shine is still there....Can't believe how many views this post has recieved...has anyone else tried the 85# product? I can only imagine it would work wonders on Reds and Blues without leaving the harsh sanding scratches wet sanding would create along with the long process of getting them out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of buffing pad do you use, wool or foam? White, yellow, black etc...?
    Lee Sanderson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White wool pad...they now make a 105# product..just bought a quart to try on some of my other boats...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0035.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	237194Here is the boat from this weekend for those that want to know if it still looks good...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0034.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	237191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0039.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	237193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0047.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	237192

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast