Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdrive powertrain questions

right now my boat has a flywheel with an adapter for the transmision bolted to it. I was wondering if it would be safe/wise to replace the heavy flywheel with a lighter flexplate. To redue rotating mass, quicker throttle response ect.

I'm also looking for a great sounding roller cam for a 350 sbc with 202 double hump heads, edelbrock breather type intake, 600 cfm carb, edelbrock log manifolds in a 18' stevens silouette, 1:1 drive with a ski prop.
    I've heard of some compatability issues of wild cams and log manifolds?....

to hear previous cam and see boat search youtube for 66 stevens vid is 1min long.

thanks for looking, any help is appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to help some here.... Flywheels are for manual transmissions, flexplates are for automatics and I assume you have something like a turbo 350 bolted to the engine. You could get a light flexplate but not sure it's going to do much for you.

As far as a cam goes you don't want to pick one on the sound of it. What exactly do you plan on doing with the engine? Running up top RPM all the time or down low? I'm guessing you want something a bit lumpy so it sounds good. Also, why a roller?

Nick
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an old v-drive boat with a small block chevy that the drive shaft to the v-drive bolted to a small pulley that was installed in place of the harmonic balancer. Anotherwords the pto came off the front of the motor. It had a glenwood bell housing/starter mount/motor mount on the rear that only had room in it to use a flexplate from an automatic transmission. I had a pretty big cam in it and it idled ok. It did have a real snappy throttle response. I don't know if this set up helped acceleration or not but it did work this way... and it appeared that the old motor plates were made to be used with only the flexplate.

You should be carefull with the log manifolds and big lopey cam. You could be sucking some mist back into the valves and motor at an idle. Mine did although I never experienced a engine failure from it all the exhaust valves were rusty looking whenever I did have the motor apart...not too good.
    Last edited by DavidW; 01-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.

86 18ft Motion (Action copy)
    98 Quartershot T-3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at your video, that's a really nice looking boat. I wouldn't change things around with the motor till I had to if it was me. Just enjoy it like it is.

98 Quartershot T-3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sbc has a glenwood marine bellhousing and a velvetglide trans (thats a heavy little sob).
    I don't use the boat as a race boat, mostly pleaure boating with the occasional 1/8 mile blast. Just want more presence when cruising the gas dock or party cove.

the flywheel-flexplate swap would proably not be noticeable in gear but a quik snap of the throttle in neutral and 40lbs of flywheel becomes a sleepy rev.

I want to go roller cam so I don't have to add zinc to my oil for lubrication.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boat was overheating at anything much over being plained out. Went throug the entire cooling system several times with no notieale improvements. Upon removal of the engine we found the lock was cracked. The engine is now sold and I have a bare 350 in my garage. Previous 283 might have been making 200hp on a good day and was perfect for being a lake cruiser. I'd just like to have another 100hp on tap just to make things

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... A little more interesting. Plus my buddies 1994 v6 18' crownline keeping up with me is not acceptable!

thanks for the compliment on my boat, it really is a gem packed full of 60's speed equipment. Moon hotfoot, sw greenline gages, duopoint dist, vette finned valve covers, double sided flame arrestor, edelbrock front engine plate, breather intake and log manifolds.

I took it to the street rod nationals and the almost didn't let me in... Clueless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think that just b/c you went to a roller that you will get away from camshaft failures due to high contact stress fatigue. Keep in mind that many rollers are solid and use extremly stiff valve springs so that valve float becomes a non-issue. If I remember right guys generally just have problems during break in with these new oils. Just run 15w-40 diesel oil and forget about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning on using stock springs bease this engine will probably never see 5000 rpm. Cam that was in the boat was solid lifter. No issues once I quit trying to adjust it like a hydraulic doh!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big cams require big springs and RPM is a factor too. You will basically size the cam to the specs the engine will see and valves will come with it. Ya know, for the $$ you will spend rebuilding the 350 why not go buy a junkyard LSx 5.3L and put it in there....???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you stalking me. I have a 5.3 in my tow rig. 67 chevy short wide.
    believe me if you couldnt see the engine in my boat it would have a ls based engine in it already. They are just so ugly and they don't flow with the style (mid 60s hotrod look) of the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    350 was rebuilt last spring for my friends truck. He's doing a ls swap so I picked up a fresh block and rotating assembly for cheap. Just needs a cam, maybe something like a thumpr or big mother thumper. Or lunati 292?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 350 small block had a 308 advertised duration cam. It idled very rough and sounded good. Boat wasn't all that fast(55-65 ? no gps 25 years ago) but got to top speed instantly. It was a 16 foot glenwood missile, a plywood kit, Glenwood still sells the plans, it had a halibrand v-drive with a in and out dog clutch, no transmission. The boat was actually very light. I agree with you about how nice a cam sounds But as I said before the valves were getting wet at an Idle, I have had this problem even using tall risers with much cam. There were no leaks in my manifolds it was just the huge amount of valve duration allowing the motor to pull some mist back into it'self at idle. Anything I run with a big cam anymore has dry headers just to avoid any problems. You will probably be fine but don't be surprised if you have problems with your valves either. Hot exhaust valves getting sprayed with water tend to have their heads fall off!
    Last edited by DavidW; 01-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.

98 Quartershot T-3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so back to why I stated that I'm running log manifolds. What's a good lumpy cam that would be safe with my setup. And for my use sound is more important than the extra 5hp I might be missing out on.

sounds like exhaust duration is the issue more than overlap?

no hurt feelings but I'm starting to feel like the noob that comes in and ask what's the biggest engine I can put in my boat, ya know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    705CI Merlin? LMAO!!! Not stalking ya but thats funny.. I got a buddy up here with a 69 C-10 5.3 that's turbo'd. It's pretty insane for a 5-three. Call comp/lunati and tell them exactly what you are doing. The'll hook you up. There are so many grinds, overlaps, lift patterns, durations, etc etc we could be here for days discussing. As far as oil goes I think you'll be fine with diesel oil but ask comp or whoever you get the cam from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast