User Tag List

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you do enough research you will find that there are tons of common parts between Chryslers and not just the 4 cyl. models. Must of been their way of keeping cost down. You just missed a set of stack pipes on e bay. Guy wanted $1200 for them and they did not sell. High bid was around $900. If you put pipes on it the only place you will be able to use the boat is at a vintage boat event. No law enforcement in any state will allow it on lakes as loud as they are and.....they are ear busting loud.

I have got lots of spare parts for my Stacker but you have to look hard. Another issue is finding the right prop for the racing foot.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the stacks you are refering to that were on ebay.
    Also, I dont think I can run a short shaft on my boat, transom is too tall. So i'm looking for any other ways to boost power. I will have stacker pipes, and play with prop pitch, jet carbs. I think the only way to get more power after that is a 150 intake and carb set up, but I heard those are hard to find. As far as law enforcement, I run on the river with a buddy of mine....he has a 19ft Nordic with a worked over 2.4 merc, ported exhaust, loud as hell. Boat ran 107.08 on the gps so far and the conservation guys leave us alone! hahaha. Loud pipes save lives!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I put a 135 power head on a 140 mid on an MX15 but your two piece gear-case is going to be a problem along with finding props... If you could find the later mid with the one piece gear-case and bullet location water pickups then you can have a prop shop like DAH Make a chopper fit.
    I squared off the exhaust ports, raised the center exhaust ports .025 and squared the roof of the intake ports.. DO NOT Raise them. Milled the head for .045 squish clearance and took .025 off the bypass cover sealing surface. It went a whooping 66mph with a 24 RAKER. When I first got it with an aluminum prop and no motor work it did about 50mph
    Fun projects!
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I put a 135 power head on a 140 mid on an MX15 but your two piece gear-case is going to be a problem along with finding props... If you could find the later mid with the one piece gear-case and bullet location water pickups then you can have a prop shop like DAH Make a chopper fit.
    I squared off the exhaust ports, raised the center exhaust ports .025 and squared the roof of the intake ports.. DO NOT Raise them. Milled the head for .045 squish clearance and took .025 off the bypass cover sealing surface. It went a whooping 66mph with a 24 RAKER. When I first got it with an aluminum prop and no motor work it did about 50mph
    Fun projects!

Good advice.

The racing lower unit is only good on boats that weight less than 400 pounds and can go 65+ with the standard unit. Finding props for the 70-80 range is VERY hard, so unless your boat is small, light and fully capable of 80+ with less than 175 hp, skip the racing lower unit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmccasper View Post
    I run on the river with a buddy of mine....he has a 19ft Nordic with a worked over 2.4 merc, ported exhaust, loud as hell.
    Not even close. Megaphones on a two stroke are THE most obnoxiously loud two stroke you'll ever hear. You won't get any speed from them over open exhaust anyhow. They do look cool though.
    Always wanted to putz w/a Chrysler too. Worked on a neighbors 150 5 cyl a couple of times. About crapped when I did a compression test and saw 165 lbs!
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a video of a "stacker" running?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 80`s i saw the neatest thing... A guy showed up to one of our SORA races with a 15ft Allison and a 100ci four cylinder Chrysler to run in the 100ci unlimited class. It was a very competitive class of Mercs and OMC`s on mostly Allys and HydroStream`s...The race coarse was narrow with a single bouy turn at each end and only five boats allowed at a time so heats were run to determine the five boats in the final... That Chrysler won every heat it was in and walked away with the final...I spoke with the guy afterwards and he showed me what he called his secret wepon...It was a custom intake with four Tillotson carbs...He made it from cutting up several chrysler intakes from various hp models to make the one example...It worked very well from my observation.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it a stacker or down the leg exhaust? That is interesting because that type of set up is usually a top end monster unless the four carb were smaller bore than the normal two.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No stacks. It was down leg. His power was right off the flag start about 30mph. I have no idea what size carbs just that they were Tillotsons. I like the simplicity of those carbs.

DB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great story Bobby. Love seeing someone thinking outside the box.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too Gator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I should have a video of my "stacker" running by the end of the week. Everyone says they are very loud, but thats how I like it. They do look very cool. As far as props, I have not had that much trouble finding some. Ebay has quite a few. Got an NOS 19pitch aluminum prop for $125 and also picked up a Stainless Steel 21Pitch for $60. The 21pitch will not clear the exhaust snout behind the prop, so I need to take that to the prop shop and get it re worked to clear, but for the money I have in it I think its work it. Also, installed a pee hole on mine to make sure water pump is working. That was one of Chryslers big problems. I Love how easy it is to work on! I'll send some pics of the boat. my 1972 MX16 is a super nice origional 2 owner boat. Ran yesterday with 3 people in the boat and 19pitch prop i was about 46mph. I want to try and get 55-60. Laker, sound like you have some good ideas, my checkmate I believe only weighs around 560lbs. Have to check agian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I have had the stacker pipes on but now I have and overheating problem with them. I ran the boat 4 or 5 times with no problem before pipes. The are very loud and cool, but I'm not getting water out of my pee hole (patched one into the thermostat housing) Mark, do you know if the check valve needs to be removed when running stacker pipes? also, these water jacket holes are very small, should I drill them out for more flow? I am getting very frustrated with this. Need help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any video?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have video, but I'm trying to figure out how to get it off my phone and onto the computer. I will hopefully have it up soon

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast