Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Outboard

I'm curious how you guys go about removing an outboard from a boat?

I've got a stand for the motor in my garage but the thing is heavy! '75 Merc 1500 (150)
    I'm not sure if two (or three) people can lift the thing off the boat or not. It's a bit of an awkward shape to be carrying around.

I have a few ideas on how to do this but thought I see if anyone had some good tips before I start.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engine Crane with lifting eye installed in the flywheel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a lifting ring for the motor. It screws into the top of the flywheel.

After that, unplug the electrical, disconnect throttle and shift cables, unplug the fuel line, disconnect the steering cable.

Lift the motor enough to take most of the weight off the transom, and remove the bolts. Pick the motor up, and swing it out of the way, if needed to remove the steering cable.

The motor weighs about 300 pounds, but is very awkward to carry. Be careful

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, the only way to do it. Lifting ring, and go rent an engine hoist. 2/3 guys is NOT the answer........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son an I have done it by hand with a 1350 and a 1000, it's a little tough but we're dumb.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do go with three guys, and no lifting ring, I would make sure all three guys have steeled toed shoes on. And you all are very careful to not let the skeg go too far up on your foot to miss the steel toe part.

With the lifting ring, you can do it by yourself, safely.

I believe one of the people on this board was making a combination lifting ring, and flywheel removal tool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting it off the boat and on the stand is not that bad with 2 or 3 people - I did it a couple of times with my 850 with just my wife and myself. I did use a furniture dolly to move it though, rather then trying to carry it the 20' from boat to back corner of garage. In a pinch I did it by myself once, got the boat/engine under a suitable tree branch, rope sling just under the cowl, used the trailer tongue jack to let the rope take the strain, removed bolts, moved trailer, lowered engine onto moving dolly (had a purchase in the rope, but a come-along would work too)

Obviously heaps easier with the lifting ring/engine hoist and single person (if you don't want to share the beer)
    Last edited by activator22; 10-28-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor

Get yourself a $35 lifting ring and a engine hoist and save youself a lot of time and back pain!! Plus you can do it alone!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotta remember too, its the same as climbing a mountain. Just because ya got to the top, don't mean yer finished, as ya gotta come back down yet. Same with the motor, it has to go back, and muscling it around then is harder, as ya gotta line stuff up right.

SOOOOOO much easier, ring and lift.....then sell the ring. (I picked up a sheet of drywall wrong once, tossed the back out, flat on my azz for a few weeks..why risk that for a few bucks?)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Gotta remember too, its the same as climbing a mountain. Just because ya got to the top, don't mean yer finished, as ya gotta come back down yet. Same with the motor, it has to go back, and muscling it around then is harder, as ya gotta line stuff up right.

SOOOOOO much easier, ring and lift.....then sell the ring. (I picked up a sheet of drywall wrong once, tossed the back out, flat on my azz for a few weeks..why risk that for a few bucks?)
    True, I NEVER attempted to put one back ON the boat without a hoist and ring.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or just say F/I...do a bowl of "Wheaties", and pick the SOB up yerself. Not that hard. Heres a pic my Merc guru, the famous DR. Frankenmerc, doing it the easy way...

(Yeah, it a gutless he put together spare stuff, just to show off, and looking at it, one would never tell it had no innards!..but he's a big dude, probably COULD pick up one full, as been at years!) Click full size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Packin' a Stack-6.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	220740

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. I was leaning towards the engine hoist. Sounds like the easiest way to get it off and back on the boat. I'm assuming the lifting ring is available on the internet. Anyplace I can purchase from that supports this forum?

lol@ oldskier I too am dumb sir. You should see how I have to load my low rider dropseat chopper onto my trailer. I'm sure the neighbors point and laugh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatbasher View Post
    Got it. I was leaning towards the engine hoist. Sounds like the easiest way to get it off and back on the boat. I'm assuming the lifting ring is available on the internet. Anyplace I can purchase from that supports this forum?

lol@ oldskier I too am dumb sir. You should see how I have to load my low rider dropseat chopper onto my trailer. I'm sure the neighbors point and laugh.
    Gotta laugh the bike on a trailer. One day, I was loading my long ago homemade..(still have it), Sporty Dragbike. Fired it up, neighbors had to come out just to see it, (SWEET NOISE, big inch work, and cammed to the max). Had the ramp to the trailer, and put 2 2x4's, along side, to drive/walk it up, footing the 2x4's for balance. Thank God, the big dude, 6.6, 275 pounds, was standing the right side, right time. 2x4 slipped off one side, and I was heading side/downward, with a bike about to put my leg in a zillion pieces, as the rest me. He caught me, and shoved me in.
    I remember a saying, down the Firehouse heading out my rural dogpatch, always something the reader board.
    Simply said..."At any moment, things can go horribly wrong"

Get a damn hoist! Pic my old dragster..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5302836.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	220742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drag bike 98% done001.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	220741

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude! That thing is killer! Can't imagine what it's like running do the strip with a springer front end!

Here's my garage built death trap!

I think I just hijacked my own thread!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Front end NEVER does zip but straight! Bike weighs maybe 400lbs. The bike started in 1990..(still own 6 bikes, 50 years riding)..Avon Saviour frame, meant for a Jap inline, cut the azz end off, the front was a Girder, orig 6 feet long, cut down, widened, spooled a 21 on a old FLH hub for the front..(did twin disc, Jay Brake's, fabbed the mounts), then figured a way, to shove a Sporty motor in, as ya can work them to MANY inches, orig 60, now a 74, (friend had one to 88!), "Y" cams, went through the whole motor. Then a jackshaft, solid rear end, and a 7 inch Centerline, car rim, polished both sides, and did a 220 car tire, as then, it was WAY, bigger, than any stock MC tire. Wanted tread, did lights, as could be street legal. But that 80 inch W/B, witch to turn! Lotta fun the build..probably 4000 hours in it, and regret ZERO the time in it. Heres a pic my 79 Shovel, sitting here in the shop behind me, and a pic, back late 70's, my inline 6 Merc, 1500XS, on a Switzer. DAMN..HD's an Mercs? I could talk HD's, and Mercs, for hours!
    That ride yers, (like it!;thumbsup..looks like a old generator Shovel. 65 to 69?..(brain getting old, with out looking my books) And gotta admit, its ONE TITS RIDE! Whats the front end off? and thats a sure old, maybe, think Drag frame, something "Wink", would build!

Whats the guts, motor? I have a 79 FXS, orig, down to the frame, put together right..(AMF), done late 80's, 86 inch S+S guts, Fireball cam, and will put the 88 Twin Cams, in there mirror! Pix..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shov 2.jpg   Switzercraft at 73 MPH.jpg  
    Last edited by Robby321; 10-28-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast