Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Compression #?????

Well I Got a chance to do a compression test on my motor, Its a 2000, Johnson 200, I've never had it running, i bought it without testing it due to it being on a garage floor. The test i did was with a cheap tester, one of them that you just hold the rubber stopper against the plug hole, all the numbers were within 5-10 lbs. Now the ? is what should they be on a stock motor? I got 90 psi with the cheap tester. I know a leak down test is better but for now this will have to do. Do you guys think 90 is a good number?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your good,Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks. I took a peek inside the cylinders, what should they look like. They look oily and brown.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still good,clean the carbs,especially the main jets,flow test the inlet needles by pumping fuel through the carbs with the main plug removed one at a time,look for even flow amounts,if their even your still good.Next check for spark after cleaning coil grounds by removing coils,scraping ground straps,contact areas on the block and tightening the mounting bolts.Clean the small primary wire connections to the coils(orange wires,pushon connectors)these are critical for good spark,protect the connections with a good corrosion inhibitor like corrosion x.Also do the grounds,as well as the powerpack ground on the pp mount stud,you need good grounds.A tight connection isn't always a good connection! Check spark,if good(jumps at least 1/4 in cranking with the plugs out and a charged battery,install the plugs and test run,if there's no bad noises your probably still good,change the water pump impeller and gearcase oil and head for the ramp,Chris