Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimax 115 Ticking Noise at idle????

Have a 2006 Mercury Opti 115 that just started to tick (sounds louder than it should be). Changed plugs earlier this year as they were pretty black - put the expensive irridium reccomended plugs back in... Not sure if it is related at all. Anyway, it sounds like the ticking is coming from the air/fuel injector rail. Is there a way to test injectors (either air or fuel)? Maybe it has always tickd, just doesn't seem right. Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My motor did something like that and we wound up changing the fuel pump, I also ran the mercury cleaner in the fuel and backed the motor down in the lake fired it up let it warm up and sprayed cleaner in the throttle body while it was in gear. It will try to overrev if its not under a load.

Lots of nasty stuff came out and it has run better ever since. 810 hours and still running strong.

Oh and check your belt I found mine all shredded.
    Last edited by John.Vaught; 09-15-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They don't use a big enough belt on the 3 cylinders, if it is stretched and just about to fail the belt tensioner will make a clicking noise. Failure of an air injector will also create a "different sounding" injector noise. It's easily detectable in a static injector test. If your anywhere near Saginaw, Au Gres or Oscoda I can help you out with it. You should carry a spare belt in the boat and learn how to install it as well.