Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evinrude V4 140hp - can I run without the Holley pump ?

Hi all,

I'm running a stock early 90's V4 140hp looper with 4 carbs on my 16ft speedboat.
    Fuel tank is at the front.
    In-line fuelfilter and blue Holley fuelpump are installed behind the backseat.

Can I get rid of the Holley ?

My engine doesn't have the VRO pump !! (I pre-mix in the fueltank) It seems to me the fuelline goes directly towards the carbs. I also see a fuel primer solenoid for mixture enrichment for cold start. But that's it, no pump, nor electric fuel primer pump kit like on the V8's.... This means the engine and carbs must have the ability to suck the fuel from the fueltank in the front. Which means I must keep friction losses in the fuelline to a minimum. What should my fuelline diameter be ?
    I guess I also should install a plastic primer pump to manually fill up the fuellines at cold starts.

Please advize if this is safe to try. I don't want to risk powerhead damage caused by unsufficient fuelsupply or so...

Why do you need a Holley pump afterall ???
    Is it only for the luxury of electrical remote priming at cold start ??? I seriously wonder why it's installed on my boat...

Kind regards,
    T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pump DSC01347.jpg   DSC01341.jpg   DSC01342.jpg   DSC01337.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The holley pump gives you positive and good flow to the motor. That motor came with a VRO pump from the factory that was sufficient for that motor (they use the same pump for the V-6's). someone obviously modified the fuel system by removing the VRO and installing the Holley pump. That is actually a very good setup, but, if you want to do away with the Holley, you can get the regualar engine mounted fuel pumps (probaly on a commercial version of your motor) or go back to the VRO set-up. Personally, I'd leave it as it is.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    The holley pump gives you positive and good flow to the motor. That motor came with a VRO pump from the factory that was sufficient for that motor (they use the same pump for the V-6's). someone obviously modified the fuel system by removing the VRO and installing the Holley pump. That is actually a very good setup, but, if you want to do away with the Holley, you can get the regualar engine mounted fuel pumps (probaly on a commercial version of your motor) or go back to the VRO set-up. Personally, I'd leave it as it is.
    Hi thanks for the reply.
    These V4 looper engines came in VRO and NON VRO version.
    Mine is the NOn VRO version.
    So, it is impossible to run my engine without the Holley then ??
    Kind regards, T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take closer pictures where the fuel line comes in I see no fuel pump and the set up you have is great in my opion I ran a holly red and never had a problem. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to get the fuel pumps, brackets and plumbing and re-install it on the motor if you want to remove the Holley and go back to stock.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is strange, never seen that. I don't believe the VRO pump has anything to do with pumping fuel from the tank, so I wouldn't worry about that. The only thing I can think of is that the orignal fuel pump (located on the engine) failed and the previous owner decided to add the external pump.

I would think that as long as you didn't use larger than 3/8" ID fuel line, you should be fine. I would try bypassing the fuel pump and see if it works. As long as it runs on all cylinders, you're fine. Keep us posted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VRO pumps both fuel and oil. They are together in one unit but are separate, in other words you can disconnect the oil side and still use the pump for fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    I've added an extra picture of my engine. You can see there is absolutely no fuelpomp or VRO pump located on the engine itself. The incoming fuelline goes directly towards the carbs.

My question stays : can I safely run my engine without fuelpump ? I'm talking fuelflow as a result of the engines vacuüm that will suck fuel from the fueltank in the front. Plus installing a small manual plastic primer pump for cold start.
    Will fuel supply be sufficient at high rpm, will it start without problems ?...

Reason for this question ? The Holley gave me quite some issues in the past, and as the friends on the boating club told me I should get rid of it... OK then, but not without getting confirmation and expert advice from you guys . I could always buy a brand new fuelpump, but why do that if the friends say it's not necessary...

Grts, T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06872 800x600.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u can get a replacement pump for engine that is wiyhout oil side on pump,from a dealer.if u are really turning this motor the holley is up for it.these v4s will consume some fuel son!does this help?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    I've added an extra picture of my engine. You can see there is absolutely no fuelpomp or VRO pump located on the engine itself. The incoming fuelline goes directly towards the carbs.

My question stays : can I safely run my engine without fuelpump ? I'm talking fuelflow as a result of the engines vacuüm that will suck fuel from the fueltank in the front. Plus installing a small manual plastic primer pump for cold start.
    Will fuel supply be sufficient at high rpm, will it start without problems ?...

Reason for this question ? The Holley gave me quite some issues in the past, and as the friends on the boating club told me I should get rid of it... OK then, but not without getting confirmation and expert advice from you guys . I could always buy a brand new fuelpump, but why do that if the friends say it's not necessary...

Grts, T.
    The engine crankcase pulses drive the vro pump ( with or without the oil side) and that is how the fuel gets dragged from your tank and pressure supplied to the carbs.
    SO you need a pump either the holley or one on the engine.
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Holley set up is excellent. Price going back to the VRO which has a questionable history and you may answer your own question.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Holley set up is excellent. Price going back to the VRO which has a questionable history and you may answer your own question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply.
    These V4 looper engines came in VRO and NON VRO version.
    Mine is the NOn VRO version.
    So, it is impossible to run my engine without the Holley then ??
    Kind regards, T.
    ALL 140 loopers were VRO engines from the factory. Somebody has removed the VRO pump and installed a HOLLEY blue and regulator. If you remove the pump you will not get any fuel pressure to the engine unless you mount the tank about 18 feet above the engine so you can get about 3.5-4 psi of fuel pressure which is what the engine needs at a minumum. The VRO pumps are now available without an oil side, but even those are EXPENSIVE now. I would stay with what you have and let'er eat.
    1989 20' HYDRA SPORTS 2000CC, 225HP EVINRUDE 88 powerhead 98 mid, TDR reeds and a basic clean up porting on it
    Runs 49 MPH not bad for a heavy deep vee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is you must have a external pump ,in or before the engine there is no internal vacum pump built into the carbs.

my 2 cents
    jon b
    a simple answer for a simple question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast