Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1976 SleekCraft has stopped charging the battery

Any hope of someone out there having a wireing schematic for a SleekCraft Sportster with the 455 OLDS engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I'd better tell my full story on the no charge Sleekcraft

Actually the problem could be solved by anyone having thoughts on Olds engines in boats. Mine is starting just great, running strong, just not getting any voltage going to the battery. Meter shows 12.5 or so volts when running or not running. I have had the alternator bench tested by a reilable rebuilder who also drag races Olds. He tells me there has to be a meter or a light in the system in order to create demand and make the alternator kick in. Well never had a light before. Only ever had an amp meter. Could the meter in the dash be bad? It shows a huge draw when the engine cranks but has never shown much more than a needle width of charge in all of the 34 years I've run it. Now not even that. Could I have put the feed wire on the wrong terminal behind the ignition when I replaced the switch? There are 3 terminals. One wire on the Sol going to the seleniod on the starter. One wire on IGN., going back to feed the coil. and there are 4 on the Batt. Should the ign terminal also feed the battery???? Sadly after many years the color tracers on the wires are faded sooooooo much, trying to track them back to the engin bay is a guess at best. Ive been working on repacing termina ends one by one and have not hit the right combination yet to produce my 14 plus volts I need at the batt termnals. The alternator is a marine unit with the power pack sealed. On the alt is the one 7/16 termina which of course is the 14volt out, then there is another short white wire with a male spade and nothing on it. There is nothing on this wire????? Has a wire come loose and gone un-noticed somewhere in the mess of wires. What should the short white wire be doing????? Can you tell I'm running out of ideas? HELP if you gots any ideas, or thoughts at all. Thanks a million in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a new wire from the battery post directly to the pos side of the battery. You want 13.6 -14.1 charging volts. check at the battery with voltmeter when runing.