Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrostream Viper set-up

I'm in the process of mocking up my Viper before I tear it down and restore/recore it. I'm setting it up as a center steer boat.

My question is: where should my propshaft be, both height and angle in relation to the bottom of the pad, for power take-off and topend speed. The way it is now, if the jackplate is all the way up, my propshaft is just below the pad.

Thanks
    Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run mine at 1/2" above the pad but every one will be different. My viper is center steer and weighs 997 dry.
    Chet Olson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Propshaft height will vary depending on your pad type, (wedged pad or flat), gearcase, prop, and amount of setback. As you go back further from the transom, the higher you can run your propshaft. General rule of thumb has been up 1/4" for every inch back you go. I've got mine even right now with 2.5" of setback and haven't tried any higher as the jackplate is topped out but can still move the motor up 2 holes in the clamp. Keep in mind, everything is a tradeoff.....a high-speed setup isn't necessarily going to be suited for cruising or toting around alot of weight.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a viper with a v-6 merc on it if i put a 5 1/2" jackplate on will it make it too heavy in the back? i'm thinking the further back the motor is the more levereage causing more weight

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vipers don't like a lot of setback if any with a v-6, they will porpus at lower speeds. I have a Bob's converable set at 2.5"
    Chet Olson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've gotta put something between the motor and transom to get the splashwell to drain. where should i set my height to start with?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 inches below pad or so, if no lwp, fill in the top water intake holes. to go cheap, use some t6061 angle aluminum. if you have a metal shop near by, you could get the scrap for almost nothing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proprider View Post
    I'm in the process of mocking up my Viper before I tear it down and restore/recore it. I'm setting it up as a center steer boat.

My question is: where should my propshaft be, both height and angle in relation to the bottom of the pad, for power take-off and topend speed. The way it is now, if the jackplate is all the way up, my propshaft is just below the pad.

Thanks
    Joe
    I would recommend erring on the high side. If your fully extended now, and below the pad, that's too low. You may even consider setting it a couple inches higher. You'll not likely ever run 2" above the pad, but it's better not to run the plate at full extension, and probably less likely that you'll want to bury it a few inches below the pad. Of course, some of this will be based on how much travel the plate has.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 1.25" above pad with 5.25" of set back. My boat flies but aint much for cruzin. You will have to have a LWP to run it this high.
    Good Luck Jerry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is anyone familiar with aluminum tabs attached to back of boat to stop porpoising at lower speeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
    is anyone familiar with aluminum tabs attached to back of boat to stop porpoising at lower speeds
    I heard about them once

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I have 3.5" of travel so I will definately need to raise the plate. Should I set the travel at 1.75 above and 1.75 below? Since I'm making it a 1 seater, and don't plan to "cruise" it, will the propshaft be mostly above the pad?
    Thanks
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    I would recommend erring on the high side. If your fully extended now, and below the pad, that's too low. You may even consider setting it a couple inches higher. You'll not likely ever run 2" above the pad, but it's better not to run the plate at full extension, and probably less likely that you'll want to bury it a few inches below the pad. Of course, some of this will be based on how much travel the plate has.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Setting it up as a strictly go fast boat, I can't imagine that you will ever want the propshaft below the pad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
    There were a few long discussions about this last year, that got off topic, and became totally absurd, due to someone's childish and fantastic imagination, so I'll keep this short. If your referring to the automatic tabs, I have strong objections to them.

My belief is that they are not needed in a correctly set up boat, but my biggest objection is safety. When driven in anything but glass calm water, it is very common for these boats to leave the water. The LAST thing I want, is to re enter the water with tabs in the full down position, creating a potential stuff. There have been fatalities in offshore boats due to a "tabs down" reentry. I'm sure tab proponents will state that it can't happen, but as I've grown older, I've found out you're not always to depend on the words "can't happen".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, kind of what I was thinking, but didn't know if it needed to be below the pad for take-off. Looks like I need to make the transom a bit taller when I replace it this winter. It will be set up as a go fast boat because the 21.5' bowrider I have will be my cruisin boat.

Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Setting it up as a strictly go fast boat, I can't imagine that you will ever want the propshaft below the pad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast