Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HS Viper with OMC v4, tire size recommendation?

I should probably have posted somewhere else as this is my initial post as the only California owner of a Hydrostream Viper that i know of...

Anyway, the shipper just dropped it off yesterday. It was flatbedded out here from central minnesota. Today was my first full day with her, and i took a look at the tires and wheels and their condition before i try to tow 250 miles out to the colorado river in 115degree mohave desert heat. the current 12" skinny tires and 4-lug rims are a little checked and a couple of bulges. both those things trigger a "no-go" condition with me long tows in the desert. i'm sure it's fine for local use as i'm only 4 blocks from the harbor, and it's never very hot here by the ocean, but the good fresh water lakes are the ones that are far away in the blast furnace mohave desert.

boat and motor could be around a thousand pounds, i'm guessing. and trailer, maybe another 400?

given whatever a viper is supposed to weigh, with an omc v4, and strong trailer, [iow, not a lightweight], 500 mile round trips, AND scorching desert heat on blacktop freeways,what tire size would you guys recommend?

-peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 08-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 205/ 75/ R14 is what I'd probabaly use, and I say that at the speeds that I roll on the highway which is usually no more than 65 mph ... If it's legal in Your state, then I'd use a regular passenger tire on a single axle trailer ( trailer tires on tandem trailers ) and keep it inflated near max recommended pressure @ the highest ambient temp that You'll tow in... If Your wheel bearings are in sound condition and greased well then I'd say Your fine for the haul...
    Last edited by Ted Stryker; 08-08-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Kevin Kiser