Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Pretty sure its the same got it from the shop I started my apprenticship at in 75, wound up in my tool box when the shop closed, its in a jar now tube long gone. It is not like the new grease even after so many years it doesn't separate ( liquid coming to surface ).

Dave
    Damn, quick thinker, slow keyboarder! Meant "if its on yer hands"

Anyway, the old stuff worked, and ya right, new crap separating is junk. Think here, why do they call it waterproof grease, when it simply washing off your hands with simple soap?

Also good stuff, think still made is OMC "System Matched, Triple Guard Grease". I need to go put a dab on my hand, and see if off easy with water....(nah, came right off.)

That old LubriPlate, was still the BEST STUFF! Like freaking "tar pitch", on a pitchers hand!

Just got done now the other axle, did both seals..(double lip) an 1/8th in farther than the hub, so will ride on a better surface. But I need to do the SKF sleeves, order over winter, and new bearings, for the next time one goes bad.

NOW...NEED TO GET THE FLATBOTTOM IN THE WATER!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That old grease if you squished it between your thumb and forfinger then pulled them apart you get long hairy strings of grease. Was told this was because they would add asbestos to the grease.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That old grease if you squished it between your thumb and forfinger then pulled them apart you get long hairy strings of grease. Was told this was because they would add asbestos to the grease.

Dave
    Bet that stuff worked well, and now why outlawed, EPA. Thing is, I can see breathing the fibers, Asbestos, but in grease form? What would an idiot do?.."lick it off"..(wait, world now fulla stupid)

Now its lead in battery posts, and cables. Go to an auto store.."lead free battery cables?"

Malcolm Smith, old school dirt rider..(think .."One Any Sunday" ).. has a motorcycle biz in SoCal.
    He got in a big fight, when the EPA said he could no longer sell any small dirtbikes, to KIDS, if there was lead in the battery post's..(something like that..let me find a link). Like some stupid kid..(again, guess today..huh?)..would go eat a battery post?

Dave, ya getting any summer yet up there? PNW here, stateside, has totally sucked!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solvent that used to be in parts washers was way better years ago.
    Don't know why I'm still alive or the kids didn't have 3 eyes? All them good old chemicals, cleaners, weed killers etc. Played with asbestos in brake pads, shoes, clutches for a long time before they banned the stuff.

Just starting to get some warm days.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heres the BS, which Malcolm fought hard to keep the kids start riding young, as I started, and 50 years the road bikes now, only 60, but started on minis at 10.

We gotta START shooting people, in control, hell with the voting them out, then the other stupid side comes back in...as the have gone berserk with power, and STUPID!

Anyway, this is older, but he fought the dumb azz law, and won!

Racing Legend Malcolm Smith Defies Minibike Ban
    Powersports F&I ^ | 03/19/08 | Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:01:29 PM by kik5150

Legendary racer Malcolm Smith is staging a special event today at his Riverside, Calif., dealership in defiance of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).

Scheduled for 4 p.m. today at Malcolm Smith Motorsports, the “Kids Love 2 Ride” event is Smith’s way of protesting the new law prohibiting the sale of youth motorcycles and ATVs for children under the age of 12. Smith will be joined by racers Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath, Glen Helen Raceway owner Bud Feldkamp, and motorsport design guru Troy Lee.

Passed last August, the CPSIA was prompted by numerous high-profile recalls of children’s toys and other items. In its language, the CPSIA identified certain parts of a mini bike as having lead in excess of 600 parts per million, which the new law prohibits. The law’s lead restriction effectively bans all 85cc, 70cc, 65cc and 50cc displacement mini bikes.

Not anymore..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The solvent that used to be in parts washers was way better years ago.
    Don't know why I'm still alive or the kids didn't have 3 eyes? All them good old chemicals, cleaners, weed killers etc. Played with asbestos in brake pads, shoes, clutches for a long time before they banned the stuff.

Just starting to get some warm days.

Dave
    I was a Maintenance Machinist for 21 years, Reynolds Aluminum..(77 acre building, one story, biggest in Illinois, Pig Alum to siding, wingskins for planes,.can stock..damn.. we made the Space Shuttle External tank!)
    Started 73, then the place was shut down in 94, had time and service, and was retired at 44 years old! (yep, lucky, and aint worked now 16 years!), sold to some other group, and lasted a few more years, and now its leveled, and now a freaking office park, R/E agents/lawyers/Blimpies/fast food joints/Check into cash..etc.

Anyway, we had a parts cleaning tank, a good 8x4 feet, 4 deep, and FULL OF A GOOD 55 gallon drum.."inhibited 1.1.1. Trichloroethane"

And we sat over the tank breathing the crap, NOW OUTLAWED. And that stuff WORKED! Used to be a product called.."Tap Magic"...a cutting fluid for tapping, machining, etc. Mostly a a load of Trichloroethane". BEST cutting fluid MADE! Heard word they were no longer going to be able to sell, so I bought a 24 pack case, 4 OZ squirt cans. Still have 10 cans left for my lathe, and I will NOT drill and tap a hole without it!. NEW **** is simply junk oil...

Still amazes me too, as a kid in grammar school, played with Mercury, smash it apart, watch it flow back together again! Probably tried a taste too! Remember helping my dad do basement duct work, wet asbestos, sniffing gas for a high, as "Testors" airplane glue, and much more...(now its "clorox" yer telephone as "germs"?)! HA...body only builds up resistance to the bad stuff, when ya growing up, and if ya live, ya win...if ya don't expose your body to natures "stuff"...ya will sonner or later run into it, and will kill ya.

My take, sniff, smell, taste, play in that filthy Gods green earth dirt, and somehow I did all, and 60 years old now...(20/50 Harley oil for blood, air freshener for the lungs?...fired 2 stroke/gas mix...take a good whiff...gives me a smile!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3