Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1976 Merc 1750 Questions

Hey guys - new (non-marine-mechanic) member near Charleston, SC. I recently purchased a '76 Robalo with the 1976 Merc 1750 motor. I'm trying to keep the boat all original and have already put some $$ into the motor but the guy I had working on it here missed what I think were some obvious problems.
    River-tested the motor over the weekend, and it's not firing on all cylinders.. no spark on one, and weak on one entire side.

I think I've got at least one bad spark plug wire, so assuming I've replaced all of those, guess I need to check the coils next, and then possibly will have a bad switch or stator?

Anyone know someone in my area (Charleston, SC) who'd knowledgeable and can help me resurrect that old gal?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 76Robalo View Post
    Hey guys - new (non-marine-mechanic) member near Charleston, SC. I recently purchased a '76 Robalo with the 1976 Merc 1750 motor. I'm trying to keep the boat all original and have already put some $$ into the motor but the guy I had working on it here missed what I think were some obvious problems.
    River-tested the motor over the weekend, and it's not firing on all cylinders.. no spark on one, and weak on one entire side.

I think I've got at least one bad spark plug wire, so assuming I've replaced all of those, guess I need to check the coils next, and then possibly will have a bad switch or stator?

Anyone know someone in my area (Charleston, SC) who'd knowledgeable and can help me resurrect that old gal?
    Check with Mitch Hardee on here (M Hardee), he's about an hour from you in Santee.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I'll get in touch with him. In the meantime anyone feel free to chime in with what you think I need to be checking out to diagnose the problem!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Merc that age with salt water use HAS to have some deteriorated wiring on the ignition and charging systems. check it all out good. Been there, done that!
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    A cheap, if not all that easy backyard diagnosis can be done by switching some parts. If you've got 1 dead cyl you could try the coils OR you could switch the switchboxes. I've never had a bad plug wire, but that's just me.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just changed the wiring between the switch boxes and the coils on a 1980 that was missing spark on just one cylinder and it solved the problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Rabalo you have a pm
    MITCH HARDEE 803-974-0350 --- 95 CUSTOM BASS RR STV/300drag-- 2004 STV RR/300drag---14ft fastcraft/12in/ssm--F.I. 3cyl -whittled from 300-drag --2008 FTPB STV RR( POC FACTORY BUYBACK) IRATATE A LIBERail --missspell som'um--SPONSORS --THOROUGHBREDS INC.