Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30' velocity rebuild/repower/reeverything

30' velocity rebuild/repower/reeverything

well after owning this boat for a year and a half and not touching it, the time has come. i was ready to sell it as of last night, and then the boss "wife" said no. going to start from scratch, and go from there.

it has twin 235 x-flows on it that need to be gone through, but am thinking of going towards something newer. was even thinking of converting over to some good loopers, if i can get them to fit on my mids/lowers. if i could find a good set of mercs i may even go that route. any ideas as far as powering from first hand experience would be great. mph, gph, ect...

completely wide open at this point, and looking forward to the build up. thinking some kirky seats suspended may be pretty cool too. will get some pics up soon. did steve stepp build a kevlar hull 30'? removing the carpet reveals yellow cross weaved matt.

all suggestions, and comments will be welcomed. just do not want it to get into the classic black"merc" vs white"johnrude" debate that tends to happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loopers won't go on your mids. Don't know your budget but the new E-tech 250 HO or 300 Evenrudes are clean great on gas and make great torque for a twin set up on that boat, and the same thing goes for the Merc 300XS. Depends on your budget and preference but that would work well for you and probably get you in to the high 70s. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what I will be going with as far as power. Would love to have some of the newer 300's out on the market right now,but don't think I will be able to spend that much coin. A couple of good/rebuilt older style engines would fit the buget a little better I think. Have a lot of other things that will need some addressing aswell. Will probably be selling off all of the 235 stuff I have laying around to help recoupe some of the cost.

I've heard mixed things when it comes to looper powerheads fitting on crossflow mids. Some people say you can't, and some say you can with adaptors. I dunno what is right. I guess seeing is believing at this point.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pix's please Sounds like your are starting an awesome project and one I would like to tackle next. As to flow to loopers, they made an exhaust adaptor to do it but I wouldn't do it. Loopers are so cheap/easy to come by I see no reason for the head aches.
    I have a similar project I'm thrashing on right now w/my 24' Sonic as you can see w/a thread on this same page.
    I know loopers fairly well and would be glad to feed you info via pm's, e-mail or over the phone but not here. You can get some background on them by checking my website at http://2strokeonly.com/
    Good luck and keep us posted. Gary
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Lots of good info at your site, and I am sure I will be tapping you for info soon. Going to go out and start the deconstruction today. Will snap a few photos for everyone to feel sorry for me. She is pretty rough around the edges, but the hull is solid. Hopefully will be a fun lake boat for my family and I. Thanks again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    Pix's please Sounds like your are starting an awesome project and one I would like to tackle next. As to flow to loopers, they made an exhaust adaptor to do it but I wouldn't do it. Loopers are so cheap/easy to come by I see no reason for the head aches.
    I have a similar project I'm thrashing on right now w/my 24' Sonic as you can see w/a thread on this same page.
    I know loopers fairly well and would be glad to feed you info via pm's, e-mail or over the phone but not here. You can get some background on them by checking my website at http://2strokeonly.com/
    Good luck and keep us posted. Gary
    Great Site! Loved the History & Performance pages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few pics.

Yes the trailer is junk.... a boat holder.

carpet is out now.

Lots of work to go

The floors look good under the carpet, just need to remove the seats so I can get the gas tank out for cleaning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a few more pics

This is after I removed the carpet. I assume the fuel tank is under the center section there with the screws in it. Looks like a big MoFo in there. Anyone have an idea of what size tank these boats came with?? I also found a good set of rebuilt 275hp V8's that may fill the bill nicely. Think I can get in the 70's with those and the right props???
    Last edited by biohzrd; 06-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    STUPID south Louisiana weather!!!!!! Another thunderstorm to put a halt on a productive day. Try putting on a big boat cover in a strong wind. Not very much fun by yourself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get discouraged. Just keep your nose to the grindstone and before you know it you will have a garage big enough for all your toys. For some people the American dream is to own your own home. For us boaters we don't stop there, the American dream is to have a big toy box full of cool toys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My toy box is already got other toys in it. Guess I need a bigger toy box!!!! Wife has been saying I need to get rid of my race cars for awhile now. Who knows..... maybe she has a point.

Anyone looking for a new toy????
    Last edited by biohzrd; 06-02-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bio,tell your wife that she made the best decision in her day yesterday!!! she wants to go out in the boat not to a hot car track,i made that decision 35 years ago i had a car and a boat,there are plenty of cool people that are into goin fast with boats. i guess stepp had plenty of that blue carpet,your seat looks just like mine but i did it in blue,just grab those 275's redo the interior,wax the outside that looks pretty good and GO BOATING tripps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah that interior will probally clean up with some good cleaner,just change rug take out bolsters and u have a 100 gallon tank in there mine is well up and away from the v hull as yours also buy a portable tent to cover it and u can work in the rain,lets go no excuses!!! tell your wife she will enjoy it very much,that hull is a great ride compared to other v bottoms tripps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one w/twin 300 v8's from the '80's

Sorry for the crappy shot Bio, but maybe it'll inspire you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 040.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that what i did go tired of drag racing sold the race car and bought the boat it was a good choice race car only i could enjoy the boat ever one can enjoy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast