Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should I pay for a excellent condition fresh water only 1976 135HP johnson?

beautifull condition engine I am going to see tomorrow.just had service on the carbs ,impeller changed and lower fluid changed and it runs great.Not injected.It has tilt and trim and is a long shaft.135EL768 is the model# and in your opinion would you rate this a good motor or great motor and whats its value in todays market.Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple hundred bucks. And thats if you "really" have to have it... He should give it to you, lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the 1976 135 was a good engine. Also consider that the 2 stroke engines, especially ones in good shape, will get harder to find. It could bring more than a few hundred bucks for that reason.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheww,What to do??I think I need more input,
    thanks guys!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirRide View Post
    Couple hundred bucks. And thats if you "really" have to have it... He should give it to you, lol.
    Do not pay any attention to AirRide. He is grumpy and does not like Scream and Fly so most of his posts here are negative in some way. I read somewhere on here last year that he insists on for sale ads that violate the requirements here and apparently it made him resentful when they were removed by a moderator. I do not know why he bothers to post here if he is resentful.

The mid 1970s 135 OMC was the top of the OMC line until the V6 200 was introduced in 1975. They continued with the 135 as the number2 engine in the line and they were rock solid dependable and had very good low end and mid range power. These engines were not loop charged but instead the crossflow design which usually contributes to low end and mid range over the loop charged engines.

If the engine is in good shape it is probably more valuable from a functional standpoint than what would be listed in any book for an egine that is over 30 years old. If you want to use it and it is in very good condition I would not be afraid to say it is worth $750. to $1000.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MercNuts View Post
    Do not pay any attention to AirRide. He is grumpy and does not like Scream and Fly so most of his posts here are negative in some way. I read somewhere on here last year that he insists on for sale ads that violate the requirements here and apparently it made him resentful when they were removed by a moderator. I do not know why he bothers to post here if he is resentful.

The mid 1970s 135 OMC was the top of the OMC line until the V6 200 was introduced in 1975. They continued with the 135 as the number2 engine in the line and they were rock solid dependable and had very good low end and mid range power. These engines were not loop charged but instead the crossflow design which usually contributes to low end and mid range over the loop charged engines.

If the engine is in good shape it is probably more valuable from a functional standpoint than what would be listed in any book for an egine that is over 30 years old. If you want to use it and it is in very good condition I would not be afraid to say it is worth $750. to $1000.
    Thank you for the great input.I wasn't too far off then and if she is a real peach I think i'll be bringing it home for right around the 750.00 mark if all goes well.take care

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSeaCraft View Post
    Thank you for the great input.I wasn't too far off then and if she is a real peach I think i'll be bringing it home for right around the 750.00 mark if all goes well.take care
    Mernuts is right on the money. It's a great engine and even paying a grand wouldn't be bad. Make sure to run premium fuel and you'll have it around for a long time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdkvector View Post
    Mercnuts is right on the money. It's a great engine and even paying a grand wouldn't be bad. Make sure to run premium fuel and you'll have it around for a long time.
    good news just got better.I Just got off the phone with the seller and it seems that the engine is 100% original and has never been painted.....or anything.it originally came from a small town in texas 7 years ago when it was donated to a church and bought by this guy who had knee surgery.unfortunatly he never got to do anything with it.Motor is still on the vintage 15' hull and nice trailer to boot.
    cant wait to see it tomorrow,thanks for the votes of confidence.....cant imagine this motor on a 15 foot hull?? must be a screamer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran my 115 Starflight on a 15' for many years and really enjoyed the balance of the combination. We skied a lot so had the fuel tanks up front. Could do anything with that little boat. Miss the conveinance of that little boat. It never had trim and we never missed it. Anybody could climb in it and you were never worried that it was too much for them. I understand that it is possible to flip any boat but spend a lot of time trying to flip it and could never get it right.
    Really miss the old tub

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CaptSeaCraft? Santa Barbara?

no freaking way! two huge coincidences:

-first: there is now another guy on this EXTREMELY east coast oriented site living in little 'ole santa barbara? what are the odds?
    -second: i too, am a v4 crossflow nut. i have a '75 135hp, and am about to buy a '93 version of the same motor. my 135, pictured below, was and still is, fresh water only. i use it only on the colorado river and it's lakes, [mead, mohave, havasu]. i bought it off a local commercial fisherman who used the boat and motor in the picture only for family vacation boating in fresh water. i have a yamaha 40 on a boston whaler for salt water duty.

what part of town do you live in? i'm on the mesa, near loma alta and cliff. about 5 blocks from the harbor.
    when i see your tri-hull with the hot crossflow, i'll know who you are and say hello. are you going to launch it in the harbor?

just don't fall in love with hydrostreams and allisons. there are virtually NONE out here, [ok a small handful of allisons].

-peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 06-02-2010 at 02:08 AM.
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    CaptSeaCraft? Santa Barbara?

no freaking way! two huge coincidences:

-first: there is now another guy on this EXTREMELY east coast oriented site living in little 'ole santa barbara? what are the odds?
    -second: i too, am a v4 crossflow nut. i have a '75 135hp, and am about to buy a '93 version of the same motor. my 135, pictured below, was and still is, fresh water only. i use it only on the colorado river and it's lakes, [mead, mohave, havasu]. i bought it off a local commercial fisherman who used the boat and motor in the picture only for family vacation boating in fresh water. i have a yamaha 40 on a boston whaler for salt water duty.

what part of town do you live in? i'm on the mesa, near loma alta and cliff. about 5 blocks from the harbor.
    when i see your tri-hull with the hot crossflow, i'll know who you are and say hello. are you going to launch it in the harbor?

just don't fall in love with hydrostreams and allisons. there are virtually NONE out here, [ok a small handful of allisons].

-peter
    Hey Peter,
    Damn Cool.....I live the other way about 5 miles,up Hot Springs to Oak Rd.,Just pass Middle Rd...Its cool,a couple stop lights and I am at the Harbor myself.I Own a 18' SeaCraft C.C. Superfisherman also and think I am going to pick up the little Tri so I dont have to tow the 3,000lb's of SeaCraft up the pass to the lake.Have you ever seen a Hull like that?Looks kinda retro different thats for sure.Check out my post on the Prop forum to Rich at Leading edge........I think I took the video while I was screaming by Mesa Lane area back about 4 months ago.Its only a 16 second video(from my cheap camera) but it shows my 85' V4 90HP at WOT for a little stretch.I am very glad my fellow Potter Buildt SeaCraft pals at Classicseacraft.com (mostly Floridians)recommended that I be part of this site to buy parts and participate in the great forums!As you see I really enjoy these guys and they have more Knowledge than most anyone around these parts(if you know what I mean).Lets grab a beer sometime,Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO $750 would be my limit, and I think that is a bit high unless it is PERFECT! I bought a '79 140 for $400 and it is near perfect. Low time and very little paint worn off the skeg. You can eat of the power head.

Just remember to run premium fuel only and good oil! If you don't, you're looking for trouble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    IMO $750 would be my limit, and I think that is a bit high unless it is PERFECT! I bought a '79 140 for $400 and it is near perfect. Low time and very little paint worn off the skeg. You can eat of the power head.

Just remember to run premium fuel only and good oil! If you don't, you're looking for trouble.
    Thank you again............I am gonna offer him 500.00.........its all I can really spend right now and I dont need to piss off the other half(works been way tooo slow)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MercNuts View Post
    I apologize if I offended anyone, but my opinion remains the same, and I am entitled to it...as you, MercNuts, are entitled to yours. I find many of your posts over-the-top, rude and offensive, though I don't call you out on that and rebut you line by line. That, too, is over-the-top. But, no worries---I'm done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Airride....no offense taken here and I do appreciate your opinion and your welcome to comment on my posts when you feel like it,its all good!I apreciate all of you guys and hold everyones opinions high,Thanks again and i'll be back Sunday after our annual Pozo Shootout and I should know by then if my offer was accepted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast