Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1990 Baja 186 Closed Bow

I have a Baja 186 (i know it's not a fast hull) but it does have the Phase III Hydro-tec kit on a 150 yammie. Prop centerline is about 3 1/2 below and motor is hung on a 10 inch man. plate. spins 5600 rpm and she'll do about 61 GPS with a 23p turbo 1. Tried a 26p Tempest Plus, 1 mph faster but crap holeshot and lost a few rpm. Rooster tail with both was huge...Motor too high or too low? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try a 4 blade prop.. it sounds like you need a lot of bow lifting ability. merc trophy or bravo 1, hydromotive p4x, or possibly a 4 blade chopper. i would start with a 24 pitch and adjust up or down until you get whatever rpm you need. trial and error and lots of patience will be required. good luck. i had a 19' open bow baja in the mid 70's through 1990 with a 1977 200 merc and a 1986 merc 200. best i could do was low to mid 60's with a 3 blade turbo prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thanks, I have patience but lack the experience..This thing only ran 46 when I got it, so I know I am heading in the right direction. still a little concerned with being able to go full trim without blowing out. Too low? given the transom angle (unknown) and the 10 inch setback jackplate..I am all the way up on the plate and still running 17 psi water psi on a 2nd year impeller. top hole on motor too. any ideas on getting motor to about 2.75-3 in below pad?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    setting prop centerline to 1.5 inches below pad. in talkin with the guy from the local prop shop. given the setback I am wedgin 5 degrees on bottom side and having machine shop add additional mounting holes to my jack plate so that I can get the extra height that i need. Am now running a 23p tempest. boat handles like a dream..so much better than the turbo prop..a whole lot more boat in the air now. but man it drives like a different boat with the quality prop. itchin to see what the 1.5 below does for me.