Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Annoyed at rough idle- '76 inline 6 1150

I'm having a tough problem getting a good idle. Ive been out a dozen times and long hours and about 20 gallons of gas trying to adj idle screws. When I get a good smooth idle, I bog when I open the throttle out, too lean. Richen it back up a lil, i get awesome power, no bogging, and about 40mph at 5000rpm in a 17ft fiberglass tri-hull. Idle is just not as smooth as it should be and its more than annoying to say the least . I set the timing to be around 4* BTDC at idle and staticaly set wot at 19* BTDC. I run 93octane and an oil mixture of 50:1. Compression is 130 to 132psi in all cylinders. Any help and or suggestions, are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Where in SE Wisconsin can I take my '76 I6 1150 to get carbs rebuilt/cleaned, (Darn motor needs a tank). Almost every place Ive gone to, wont work on this old of a motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 78 1150 and mine calls for 21* and 4*to 6*, 76 through 78 are the same animal. My original tag for it is still on the motor, hope this helps Buz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, but I run at 19* BTDC wide open due to the fuel nowadays. My problem isnt at high speed, its at idle(in gear) or even slightly above - 1k rpm. At idle, out of gear, it seems ok. Once I start getting up on plane, it smooths out. Could this be a problem with reeds? Or would you also notice bad reeds at high speed? I'm stumped on this, I've owned a '71 1150 and these inlines run baby smooth when dialed in. Swapped it out for this one which has tilt trim. Almost wishing I would have swapped just the tilt/trim. Could it be a bad needle, float getting bad, bad gasket somewhere, I'm just at a loss? Anyone? I know there alot of inline guru's out there. What really puzzles me is that I can adjust the top carb clockwise(1/8th turn at a time & waiting few seconds), and motor will smooth out and be damn near perfect, but when I hammer on the gas, it will bog telling me the top carb is lean. Richen it back up a lil and I'm good at WOT and no bog, but idle in gear and its a lil rough. I do alot of trolling and toodling around the lake, and its enough to give the boat a vibration. Am I stupid and missing something here?
    Last edited by frostydevil; 05-27-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been inside the fuel pump? A motor of that vintage should get a new diaphragm kit, this will help keep that top fuel bowl full at idle. A bad primer bulb can add to the equation also. My '73 115 runs fine at 4-6 before and 21 full advance, 91 octane. Make sure you primary pickup timing is right - should get mag advance before the carb butterflies start to open. What prop do you have? I swing a Chopper and my idle is rough below 1000, get a bit of "Chug Chug Chug" but it's that big wheel that's doing it. Biggest problem I have had is shifting and not killing, but again that's the prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant be sure - but doesnt that engine have those little plastic restrictors in the inlet transfer ports ????
    cant find it listed on the EPC but I remember when there where a few of those inlene 6 cyl around, having to remove transfers and fitting new plastic restrictors to fix idling problems

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of the plastic restrictors either...I'll look into that but I dont think thats it. This carb setup is different than a '73. Instead of having two fuel pumps, I have one, and the float bowl covers are the flat kind -(w/o the filter). That has been rebuilt last year(fuel pump). The aluminum Prop i believe is a 19p. I really cant make out the markings as there are only something like 5 #'s without a 'P' after any of 'em. and a 17ft fibergalass Tri-hull is a pretty heavy beast once you are hauling people and gear. Primary pickup might be something to look into again. Thanks, I'll let you guys know.

Bernie, do you know of a good shop in Fondy that would work on this old beast w/ my problem? Last year was a headache trying to figure out what was going on, until I replaced the primer bulb (i think thats what did it) but not until after I took the carbs off like a dozen times, replaced all wiring and fuel hoses, set timing a dozen times, and so on and so forth. My patience is almost out, but the motor is almost there.....lol

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by frostydevil; 05-28-2010 at 04:54 PM.