Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ETEC 25HP Update

I just wanted to pass along my real world experiences about this little motor. I am a merc racing guy 100% , and prior merc 2 stroke guy on the small engines but wanted to try out a rude again. I needed one for my river skiff.

This motor runs like a scolded dog. However, I have had some litle nick picking issues, that I just never had on a merc out of the box.

I probably have roughly 8 hours on it. The first issue I had at roughly 6 hours. The top starter bolt had backed completely out , so I could not use the push button start it was not getting in gear. I had no idea that was the problem but when i took it in the mechanic took the cowl off and found it right away. Thank god I had a rope start too, becuase i had to use it form a day before I took it to the mechanic and I was 10 hours from home.

At roughly 7 hours I could no longer manually tilt the engine into shallow draft. After no ability to tilt the engine into shallow draft and taking a chunk out of my skeg getting my dad off the river to the hosipital ( he got a hook in his hand . I had to make a long drive thru a few shoals with no shallow draft.) I took to the mechanic and the spring was alreadly stretched. So shortened the spring and back in business until a new one could be ordered.

No after my long drive home I discover brown oil dripping out around my prop. It is not lower unit oil , but the XD100 . I am hoping just unburned engine oil dripping from the exhaust. However what scares me is that I have read quite a few reports of the oil resovoirs cracking, or getting cracks. I will keep a eye on it , but it looks like I might be making my third trip back to a mechanic.

I love the engine, it is strong as a bull, but I bought into the no maintenence for 3 years marketing, and that is just not working out for me. I love the engine though and the way it runs. However, I can't help but second guess myself on the purchase over merc.

Not to bash envinrude motors, I grew up on them and had a few myself. However, these issues I am seeing now is why I switched to Merc 10 years ago. I had had little issues with merc too, but never this early in ownership like i always had with the evinrude motors. I have usually been able to get by the first 75-100 hours on mercs with no issues, and limited maintence.

I will keep everyone posted as i plan to run it alot the next few months. I am keeping a open mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your less than happy experiences with your new motor. I'm not sure if Merc. still makes a two stroke 25 hp...at least I can't find one listed on their site. I think the four strokes...like a 25 Merc. would be a pretty solid motor...but I think you're going to get a little more performance out of your e-tec. I'm sure you hate bringing your rig back to the dealer...but I think they should fix things until you're satisfied. I switched my main motor out from an XR6 Merc. to an e-tec about 18 months ago...I haven't had a lick of trouble and haven't regretted it....The e-tec, for me, is much easier to start, doesn't smoke, is an absolute torque monster and gets a lot better fuel economy versus the carb'd classic Merc I had....which had extremely low hours and was maintained yearly. I still have my Merc. 15 hp kicker....it's a beast to get running...but once warmed up, it's a sweet little motor.

Hopefully the dealer can make things right for you.....and you'll be more satisfied with your decision to buy the e-tec. My dealer and his service is what clinched the deal on my re-power.

Good Luck...Hope to see you post how things turn out for you and your new motor....hope it all turns out well!

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury does make two strokes but thanks to our governments desire to protect us from ourselves, they are not available here. Below is a link the Merc's Latin America site. I guess their air does not go beyond their borders.

http://www.mercurymarinelatinamerica...roke_table.htm
    '97 Allison XR2001rr / 2.5 Merc