Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yamalube vs Quicksilver

Changed my lu oil yesterday before taking the boat out, my local places didn't carry yamalube gearcase oil but off brands and quicksilver, having run mercs my whole life it's all i ever used with them and had no issues whatsoever that were lubrication related. My thinking is that quality gear oil is quality gear oil no mater the brand on the box.

The quicksilver is sae 90, don't know what the yamalube is (guessing it's close)

Will this be a good choice of gearcase oil to use in the long run or should I use yamalube in the future(if the weight is a lot different or some other incompatibility reason) etc

Also has anyone ran Lucas,ams-oil or royal purple with any sucsess??

Oh, this is on a carbed v-max 150.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both lubes are top quality for their intended purpose, and the formulation is probably very close between the two brands... Your gearcase will never know the difference, as the trick is having healthy seals and change the lube it at reasonable intervals... I wouldn't have any reservations at all about running either lube in either engine and it wouldn't cross My mind while I was hammered down on it... I say You have zero risk of problems due to the choice of lube..
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    Both lubes are top quality for their intended purpose, and the formulation is probably very close between the two brands... Your gearcase will never know the difference, as the trick is having healthy seals and change the lube it at reasonable intervals... I wouldn't have any reservations at all about running either lube in either engine and it wouldn't cross My mind while I was hammered down on it... I say You have zero risk of problems due to the choice of lube..

Thanks that's what I was thinking as well, I can get quicksilver 5 miles from my house but have to drive further to a place that carries the yamalube gear oil, however i can get yamalube premix oil here and I do run that in the motor.

I just got the boat and I'm pretty sure it wasn't well cared for so I changed it imediately(plus I know it's been sitting up for a few years). Plan on changing it one more time in about two weeks just to get any crud that the new lube might have dislodged out.

Oil was really dirty but didn't have any signs of water and very little metal on the magnet so i think the lu might be healthy at least, the motor started acting funny today but thats another story all together and I'll make another thread for that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Factory lubes are very good, and this article link is about all the oils, and how they tested.

http://bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1891729&sectionid=308

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya can't go wrong with any of the OEM brands for their specific purpose...

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE